Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to edit fil files?

Hi all,

Just a quick question about .fil files on the server. I need to make a quick change to one of theme as I believe it's causing Worldpay to fail with the wrong URL to the receipt). Can't do it from Actinic as the client manages the shop and they're out until tomorrow. I'd ideally like to be able to sort this out today before I get them to refresh the site properly tomorrow (which would actually fix it all anyway).

One thing I do remember though (from bitter experience) is that the site throws a wobbler if you edit the .cat files on the server (sees it as tampering, which is fair enough) so I'm a bit concerned that the same might be true of .fil files. I would always make a backup copy of course but that didn't actually save me from the .cat problem last time.

Basically, my question is: Is it safe to edit the .fil files via FTP actually on the web server or will the site scream foul?

Much thanks for reading.

Angi
    OXLink Web Design (Oxford)
    Actinic developers since version 3
    01865 361696

Basically, my question is: Is it safe to edit the .fil files via FTP actually on the web server or will the site scream foul?
    there is little point in doing this as .fil files are generated by upload therefore will be overwritten.

You need to find the root of the problem within Actinic rather than in the generated files

Comment

Supplemental info: the file I need to edit is nqset00.fil which appears to be the network setup file. Another quick question: is it this file from which a PSP would draw the URL for the link back to the receipt page? If so, and if I I can edit it dafely online then problem solved.

Cheers.
      01865 361696

Comment

Hi Jo,

Many thanks for your reply, but my problem is that I would like to fix it today and I cannot refresh the site from Actinic (or get the client to do it) until tomorrow. I know what's causing the problem and a refresh would fix it (it's just that the network setup has slightly changed).
        01865 361696

Comment

Even though I haven't been able to make the change today, I would still like to know, for future reference, if editing the .fil files on the server is likely to cause problems.

Anyone from Actinic able to answer this one?

Many thanks.

Angi
          01865 361696

Comment

As mentioned earlier, editing the server files is ultimately futile as they'll be replaced on every Update.

Best look for the code that generates these file. It'll be in Site1 somewhere.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Many thanks for responding, Norman. I'm really just looking for an answer to how the site will respond to me editing the .fil files on the server though.

I'll do some more testing.

Thanks anyway.
              01865 361696

Comment

If all payments are failing then there's nothing to loose.

Comment

Nope, definitely not safe. Invalid signature (didn't test it on the customer site obviously). I'll get them to do a refresh tomorrow which will fix their particular problem and I'll have figure out something else for the future.

Cheers.
                  01865 361696

Comment

Working...
                  X