Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New image for if an item is out of stock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New image for if an item is out of stock.

Hello all:

My name is Will and this is my first post. I work for Luddite.
    Anyway, introductions out of the way: now to the problem.

I'm looking for a solution for when a single product has been ordered from our site. I have changed the stock levels to 1 and suspended ordering when that product goes below 1, but as well as suspending ordering (which works fine) I would like to replace the original image with a special 'out of stock' GIF.

Can anyone please help me with this? I really don't know where to start!

Within your code Will, there will be a condition running which checks the stock level. Whatever this condition is decides on what it displays. The condition that currently fires the text on your site can be used to fire an image. It is a case of intercepting the text that is currently included and replacing this with your required image.

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice...

...however, I'm very sorry, but I'm far from being an Actinic expert and don't really understand your solution. Sorry again. Could you please put it in idiot terms for me?

Comment

Through the template manager you can select the layout for "out of stock". This layout will fire when the condition is met. Save a copy of this layout so you can always return back to where you are and also take a snapshot.

Then have a play with the layout and see what you can achieve.

Out of Stock layout is as follows:

Code:
        <!-- OutOfStock HTML begin -->
        <!-- This template is used for the out of stock message. -->

<B><P class="actwarningcolor">NETQUOTEVAR:OUTOFSTOCK</P></B>

<!-- This template is used for the out of stock message. -->
        <!-- OutOfStock HTML end -->

Comment

Thanks again. However, I still be slightly in the dark.

Comment

You may find that what you currently want to do is outside of your current level of ability. You've been given good pointers, and it is now up to you to come up with the coding.

I suspect if Lee knew the actual code required he would have posted it, as it is he probably hasn't needed to do this himself and thus is just pointing you in the correct direction.

Comment

If you wish to start customising actinic or moving away from a standard theme, you will need to have a basic understanding on how actinic works and how to code in html. Without that you are asking me to be your school teacher, which for me is not what this forum is about.

The layout i pasted above is what displays when something is out of stock. If you add your image into this layout, it will then fire the image when the product is out of stock. Have you created the image yet and what is it's name? Take a look in other areas of your shop and note how images are added in html. Create your image, take a copy of the layout for safety and then have a go, if it fails, paste what you have done into here and we will help you correct it and point out what you did wrong.

You have to be prepared to get your hands dirty, take the correct precautions and you are not risking anything, have a go, if it fails, it fails, however you will probably surprise yourself, it looks far more difficult than it actually is.

Good luck.

Comment

I agree with you Lee.

When I started using Actinic last summer I was terrified, but as long as you back up regularly and before you do any major changes you've got a safety net to fall back on - would that be into ?

I've been dead chuffed with the results of my 'dabbling' and the support that you and other regulars on this forum give is invaluable Thank you !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Lou
                  I've been dead chuffed with the results of my 'dabbling' and the support that you and other regulars on this forum has been invaluable.

Thank you !!!!
                  Hayley

I think i can safely say for most of us (if not all of us), that we like to help you along the way, not actually do it for you. A lot of us use this software regularly and that is how we earn a living, whether we're designing or running a shop. 95% of what you see in the forum is voluntary unpaid advice, it's often overlooked.

People like yourself who are prepared to learn, understand and more importantly get stuck in and get their hands dirty are a pleasure to help. People who put little effort in, can't be arsed and just want it handed on a plate to them, will generally fair far worse on here.

The most ironic thing is that they refuse to read up on how to do things, yet they sit around (sometimes for hours) waiting for someone to give them an answer. Once they have got their answer, what do they have to do with it? - READ of course. I have seen many people hang around for hours, where a 5 minutes search would give them more help than they could ever hope to achieve in a reply to their post.

I guess this will always be around with forums. One day in the future, i guess a newbie will go to write a post and on submitting it, the forum will tell them that it has been asked 567 times already and direct them to the threads.

Maybe one day.....

Comment

I see that the usual 'Welcome to the forum' formalities have been dispensed with on this thread! Lee, thanks for your pointers. Jet Set Willy (with whom I work) will, as you suggest, 'get his hands dirty' on this one.

Welcome to the forum Will!
                    Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the pointers Lee.

Must say, I"m a little scared at asking anything else now!

Sorry for being a "newbie"!

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Set Willy
                        Yeah, thanks for the pointers Lee.

Must say, I"m a little scared at asking anything else now!

Sorry for being a "newbie"!
                        There is nothing to be scared of at all, and certainly nothing to be sorry about. I don't think i can explain in any clearer English, what needs to be done. If you want to send me the code and i do it for you, then you should say this. If you want pointers and nudging in the right direction on what you need to do - then i think you've got that.

I explained how it works, i provided the code that fires the text and i explained that you need to put your image in that layout. Have i missed something?

I asked you previously had you created the image and what is it called. You never responded, without that i cannot complete it for you as im just guessing at what you have done.

Comment

Working...
                        X