Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data truncation error - help!

Hi folks,
    I added too much text to a section on my catalogue, and I got the dreaded data truncation error message. I seem to recall this happening to me once before, and I fixed it by opening a database in Access, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I actually did to fix it
    I'm not an Actinic expert, so this thing is pretty scary to me! Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd be very grateful!

The error is:
    "A Data Truncation error occurred while linking to the external database. This may occur if one or more field lengths in the external database exceed
    the maximum field length in the Actinic Database. Check the fields lengths in the external database."

I reckon you changed the field type to 'memo' within access.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lee. Unfortunately, I don't really have a clue as to where the 'field's are to be found once i've opened up the db, nor where to even begin! All I know is that I entered far too much text in a field, and now I cant upload\update do anything. I really need someone to guide me through this one

Comment

Note the word external in the error message. If you're using any form on linking to an external database, then the problem may be there.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

If you know the table which contains the field with a problem, select that table within access and then select design view. All fields of the table will be shown and their 'data type'. 'memo' as the 'data type' allows longer fields.

Make sure you are fully aware of what you are doing here, the problem may exist somewhere else and you don't really want to be meddling with the database.

Comment

If you are linking to an external database, you can find out what it is called and where is it by going into File / External linking - the details will be in there. To fix the problem, open the external database and edit the section text that is too long and make it shorter, Actinic should open again then.

I have noticed that external linking errors are occasionally shown when external linking isn't on, it this is the case you would need to open the file called ActinicCatalog.mdb that is in your site directory (make a backup of it first just in case) and edit the information in the CatalogSection table.

You could also try running our spellchecker program as this checks field lengths and allows you to correct them (it pops the text up and lets you edit it), you can find a free trial for the spellchecker at this URL :

http://www.mole-end.biz/acatalog/Cat...lth_Check.html

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
            Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
            A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Product Mash for Sellerdeck
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Multichannel order processing
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
            X