how do you insert an icon in web browser address field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you insert an icon in web browser address field

I have noticed with increasing regularity an icon appearing at the start of the address in the url field before the "http://"
    Does anyone know how to do this?

Basically put an icon in the root of your folder and call it favicon.ico

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Kevin
    KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

search on favicon.ico - basically create an image in the ico format of either 16 x 16 or 32 x 32 pixels and upload it to your webiste - briwsers find it automatically.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thank very much for your help

Comment

If you have PhotoShop you can install a script to convert to the correct format

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I have created in icon and uploaded it via the extra files option but I still cannont see it in the browser address is there another way that I have to up load it.
            If I use an ftp program I can see the favicon.ico in the sam directory as the index.htm

Comment

I can see it... I assume its rhw Z thingy.

I think you will need to clear you cache before you can see it, since you have already visited the site you can't see it - a known feature of favicons to confuse.

Comment

yeah it should be ctrl with a blue Z underneath
                Have cleared the cache and tried another pc still cant see it but if you can see it it must be out there somewhere

Comment

Ben,

It looks fine to me as well. As Jo says its not always reliable so make sure you clear your cache and close down the browser.

Comment

Do you have a previous attempt showing Ben as the images are cached to your PC and need deleting before the new one shows?

Comment

Blimey Lee, our timing is perfect...both of us @ 11.34

Must be because we are in the same area and timezone!

Comment

LOL Dave, mediocre minds think alike as they say?

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
                          search on favicon.ico - basically create an image in the ico format of either 16 x 16 or 32 x 32 pixels and upload it to your webiste - briwsers find it automatically.
                          Done that. As is mentioned elsewhere on this thread - I put it in my 'additional files', but it doesn't appear to be showing. I've cleared cache etc. Have I missed something?
                          Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Nick,

Have you uploaded it to the root directory?

Comment

Putting it in the additional files list won't help if you have referrenced the favicon on the root. Additional files are uploaded to the acatalog folder.

Favicons are sometimes a bit wierd - you may have to go into your explorer cache and manually delete them. You could also try with Firefox instead. I remember in some cases you also had to first add the site link to your favourites before you see the icon.

EDIT: You'll also need to add the link reference in your template/layout.

Comment

Working...
                              X