Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redirection Problem from a former actinic shop URL to a new one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redirection Problem from a former actinic shop URL to a new one.

Hi, we're having a problem with one of our shops. The shop was originally at http://www.devadirect.co.uk, but (after being bought by another company) it will move to http://www.yachtchandlers.co.uk.

As Deva Direct has search engine rank as well as old customers using that site, we want to create a system whereby all the links on the Deva Direct site will go through to the Yacht Chandlers site. The Deva Direct site will be, in essence, a static site which points to Yacht Chandlers. Yacht Chandlers will handle all the ordering.

What we have done so far is modified the original Deva Direct site and uploaded it to Yacht Chandlers with updated settings so that all the links on the Yacht Chandlers site points to yachtchandlers.co.uk. We have then edited the Javascript in Dreamweaver on the Deva Direct version of the site so that all references to devadirect.co.uk become yachtchandlers.co.uk.

The problem we are having is that on some machines, when the request is sent to go to yachtchandlers.co.uk, it automatcially bounces to the same page on devadirect.co.uk. We have cleared the cookies on all the machines and it still is having problems. The problem we believe is with the Yacht Chandler site, as if we go directly to yachtchandlers.co.uk and click on a link, it redirects through to devadirect.co.uk.

We have edited the template and javascript files to direct all links to the Yacht Chandler Site.

Any suggestions to what can be causing it? Can anybody replicate the problem we are having?

I had a good browse around the Yacht site and could see any problems - no links to Deva from Yacht.

However from the Deva site to the Yacht site there are some link (at least on the top RHS) that still point to Deva - such as About and Products.

I think you should step back a bit and check that you are redirecting correctly. What I think you should be doing is configuring an htaccess file on the Deva site to do a permanent redirection to the Yacht site for all pages.

It looks to me that you are rather modifying one site's links to point to the other. I don't think the SEs will take kindly to that.

Comment

I agree with Duncan, you are complicating the process and potentially bringing in a nightmare situation. Just tell the SE's where you are now is the simplest and easiest process.

Comment

Working...
      X