Cookie problems with cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cookie problems with cart

Hi, Checking analytics in google shows that I have a lot of abandoned carts, further investigation shows that it is a cookie denied problem.

I've looked at loads of postings on the community about this and done the things like changing the cart expiry to 24 hours, took the p3p basic policy off so there was no companct policy, put it back on, took it off again, purged and refreshed the site - all to no avail.

I've tried to replicate the problem on other pc's but can't, however I can force the error by altering the privacy policy on my PC, and the problem occurs when you try to add a product to the basket.

I must have done something wrong somewhere along the line. Please can anyone help, its driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance - here's the url

http://www.sportsmedonline.co.uk/

Julie

If people have their privacy settings high (as you tested) or have elected not accept cookies then there is nothing you can do, that said it is not usual for browser settings to be like that. If cookies are not accepted then obviously you can't even add to cart - and IIRC a warning is given by Actinic if that is the case.

I had a look at your site and didn't see any other obvious reason for drop-outs in the checkout.

What do are you considering a high number of cookies issues vs sales. (also vs other drop-outs)?

Comment

Drop out rate can be about 80%, and it all seems to be down to this cookie thing, as far as I can tell people aren't dropping out at a later stage.

Julie

Comment

Julie,

The cookie thing reminds me of an issue http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=26383 the workaround posted by Tracey would be the same for v7.

Can you try it and let us know if you can see the dropout rate reducing?

Kind regards,
        Bruce King
        SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks Bruce, will give this a go and see what happens.

Julie

Comment

Hi Bruce,

I applied the fix you suggested, but it's not really made any difference.
            What I have figured out (I think!) is that the problem is within analytics as I've had loads of people test the site and no one has got an the cookie denied errror message I also changed the error text to include our phone number and nobody has rung to say they've got the message. It appears that google analytics actually blocks the cookies. Not sure if this is normal.

What I'm seeing in the funnel navigation section of analytics is that I'm getting a lot of drop outs (80%) at the basket stage. I thought I'd set it all up as per Dave's guide, but perhaps I've done something wrong.

Would it be possible for you to have a look at the site and see if you can spot anything odd there.

www.sportsmedonline.co.uk

Thanks in advance

Julie

Comment

I am having a problem where when people add something to their basket and click either checkout or view cart the cart shows as empty. If I get them to clear their cookies then it usually solves the problem, but I guess I am prob loosing a number of customers who don't contact me.

Thing is I can't replicate the problem on the many pc/isp I've tried.

Comment

Julie,

You might want to take a look at the following link to sort out your google analytics issue... It's an excellent post.

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=30141

Kind regards,
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Things seem to have settled down now with your help and guidance.

Thanks very much.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                  X