Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robots.txt - Excluding Actinic Sitemap?

Hello,

I have noticed that Google seems to have started indexing our Actinic sitemap as a page for visitors, however, our Actinic sitemap does not look visually friendly to customers:

http://www.inspirationsounds.co.uk/a...g/sitemap.html

Therefore, we have used a free sitemap generator called "softplus gsite crawler" to create an XML and Yahoo sitemap for our site, the google sitemap is here:

http://www.inspirationsounds.co.uk/sitemap.xml

The other thing is that I have used our robots.txt to disallow the Actinic sitemap with the following line:

Disallow: /acatalog/sitemap.html

I guess my question is this.... Does this make any sense whatsoever? It seems logical to me, but this doesn't necessarily mean anything as the truth is I am a novice!

I am concerned that by disallowing a directory which starts with /acatalog that I could be disallowing our entire product range (brochure) from being indexed, I would be very grateful for any advice on this..

Best wishes,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Does this make any sense whatsoever
    No I would say you are barking MAD doing this as one of the main reasons in having a site map is to allow the spiders in NOT to block them.

Comment

So you think it is better to have two sitemaps? Rather than just 1?

Comment

So you think it is better to have two sitemaps? Rather than just 1
        I would take a step back and have a hard think about what you are doing here as you could really mess up your site doing all this

Comment

On my sites I have two - an xml file registered with G and an Actinic one as an html page.

Comment

Ok, I only changed the robots yesteday, I will change it back now. Incidentally, on your homepage, do you link to the Actinic sitemap, or to the Google sitemap? Thanks for both of your help with this. I appreciate it!

Comment

nk to the Actinic sitemap
              Actinic only

Comment

You don't need a link to your xml sitemap - see Google sitemaps for information on how to use etc.

I have a link to the Actinic site map on all site pages.

Comment

Thanks Duncan, I really appreciate your assistance. I have just changed the robots.txt back to what it was, and I will leave the actinic sitemap link on every page as recommended. Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
                  X