Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem uploading to test

morning Guys

me and my business partner are working from two different locations.

he is working on a look for the site.

however he has problem uploading to the test site.

he gets a huge error message about problem merging files???

does anyone know what maybe causing this? (he does not upload to the live site at the moment as this is my responsibility)

I'm not sure if it's possible to upload and manage the test 'space' and the 'production' space at the same time form two differrent machines - hence your merge errors.

I think there was a wish list item some time ago as it's a problem not being able to manage stock and orders whilst still having a site in development (in test) in the server (at least from the one machine).

Without having multisite you may have to keep swapping snapshots and thus uploading the whole site every time you change from test to update stock for example.

I'm not sure if there's another way.

Comment

is there any possibility of loading the test site to different webspace?
      Seeing as it's being done from a different machine, I wouldn't have thought this would cause any problems.

ETS..interesting that this original idea of having both a production site and a test site isn't possible without problems because it's something I've been thinking about. Presumably the problem is arising because both sites are the same version?
      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
        ...Presumably the problem is arising because both sites are the same version?
        I think it may be the way the merge works. IIRC there's a script that runs that maintains the uploaded file information - hence the merge failure. Even with a merge fail the site will still probably work ok though. The merge process etc was described some time ago by Chris or Bruce I think.

Comment

but it is possible to have a live site and a test site uploaded at the same time because many of us do it when we're upgrading. So is that different because there are 2 completely different version of the website uploaded then?
          Sorry...just trying to get my head round it (haven't drunk enough diet coke yet LOL)
          Tracey

Comment

i thought that this was possible as i can swap around from production to test on my machine without any problems.

looks like we cannot avoid getting the multi -user version and placing it in one machine with my partner using the remote desktop to do work.

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
              is there any possibility of loading the test site to different webspace?
              Try creating another folder on the webspace, put a no follow robots.txt file in the root, change the network settings to suit and then upload the site in test from another machine.

Comment

Create either a 3rd level domain ie pnagames.pinbrooketc.co.uk or create a sub doamin ie testing.pnagames.com

and upload thetest site to this.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  Create either a 3rd level domain ie pnagames.pinbrooketc.co.uk or create a sub doamin ie testing.pnagames.com

and upload thetest site to this.

thanks Jo

will amend in control panel soon

Comment

If you ftp to a different webspace from the second computer, you can make it work easily. Rename and move the Site 1 folder so Actinic doesn't find it, then start all over as if it's a brand new site with brand new website settings. Upload whatever you want into the new Site 1 folder on the new webspace from the new computer. I've done this several times, and it works fine. I've even done it Actinic 5. The confusion comes if you're using the same site and ftp info, then each of you messes up the other's work.

Cindy

Comment

Working...
                    X