shopping cart/delivery address policing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shopping cart/delivery address policing

I'm developing a site for a customer selling gifts that include flowers and perishables. In order to guarantee a level of quality and freshness for their goods, the customers wants to be able to limit the ordering of flowers from Monday-Thursday, and also to only deliver to certain postcodes in order to be able to delivery to them in reasonable time (eg they are based in Kent, and so wouldn' t deliver to say Falkirk).

Is there anyway that products can be made available for only certain days of the week? or is there anyway in which the contents of the shopping cart can be checked to ensure that a product isn't added on a day that it isn't supposed to be avialable?

Also, is there any way of checking the postcode in the delivery address (or the cardholders address if thats where the order is going) before accepting the order and putting it through to Worldpay?

Hi Amo

Going backwards ...
    Also, is there any way of checking the postcode in the delivery address (or the cardholders address if thats where the order is going) before accepting the order and putting it through to Worldpay?
    The way I would do this is to set up certain regions within the 'United Kingdom' location (Advanced | Locations) so that on the first checkout page, the shopper has to choose not only the country but also their region. Regions can be set up as counties or post codes etc. and you can omit the regions that your customer doesn't deliver to.
    Is there anyway that products can be made available for only certain days of the week? or is there anyway in which the contents of the shopping cart can be checked to ensure that a product isn't added on a day that it isn't supposed to be avialable?
    I can't see a way to do this, but there may be some clever solution using javascript to check the day/date on the server.

Ben
    Ben Popplestone
    Ecommerce website software

Comment

A mole?

How about getting Jan to adapt one of her moles to adjust the "Can be orderd online" indicator appropriately and update the catelogue each day?
      Chris Brown

Comment

Thanks Ben,

I'll give that a go and let you kow how I get on. A quick question though - once I've set up regions, can I prevent someone from entering a postcode that isn't in the selected region?

Cheers,
        Amo

Comment

can I prevent someone from entering a postcode that isn't in the selected region
          Technically, the answer is yes - but this would involve Actinic querying some kind of custom online postcode/region database via a script call.

I'd probably say that practically, the answer is a 'no'.

Comment

Technically, the answer is yes - but this would involve Actinic querying some kind of custom online postcode/region database via a script call.
            I guess it would be possible to modify the postcode field directly within the order page template - I could put in a javascript 'onchange' function that compares the first 4 characters of the field with an array of disallowed postcodes and have it clear the field and popup an alert if there was a match.

The postcode list would then be hardcoded in to the page rather than in a database, and as the action would only be on the postcode field the rest of the functionality of the form wouldn't be affected.

It wouldn't be very tidy, but it should work shouldn't it??

Comment

Working...
            X