cookie problem, is this feasible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cookie problem, is this feasible?

I recently moved server from a shared hosting to a semi-dedicated.

I've had a few people who are having problems on the site where when they add an item to their cart and click on view cart or checkout, it says the basket is empty. With most people clearing their cookies solves the problem.

do you think this is because they've got a cookie from the old server on their computer? Or is it likely to be something else?

The majority of people don't have the problem, but I get the odd email from people with the problem.

thanks

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I think you should check your server logs. You may find that the number of people this is affecting is much larger than you think - only a very small minority would beother to email you.

Comment

Originally posted by Froogle
      I recently moved server from a shared hosting to a semi-dedicated.

I've had a few people who are having problems on the site where when they add an item to their cart and click on view cart or checkout, it says the basket is empty. With most people clearing their cookies solves the problem.

do you think this is because they've got a cookie from the old server on their computer? Or is it likely to be something else?

The majority of people don't have the problem, but I get the odd email from people with the problem.

thanks
      Are the problematic people confined to one browser group? AOL for example.
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
        Are the problematic people confined to one browser group? AOL for example.
        I don't think so although I didn't ask that specific question. Most seem to be able to fix it by clearing their cookies, although a few haven't.

Regarding checking server logs, how do I do that? What info am I looking for?

thanks

Comment

any further help on this?

I spoke to the host, they said the only thing they can think is the session time out which is set to 20 mins.

cheers

Comment

Have you already confirmed that you don't have mixed www and non-www addresses in your site?

If I arrive on a non-www url, a cookie gets written with that url. If I then get redirected by navigation to a www page, and add to basket, that will not show in the non-www cookie.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
              Have you already confirmed that you don't have mixed www and non-www addresses in your site?

If I arrive on a non-www url, a cookie gets written with that url. If I then get redirected by navigation to a www page, and add to basket, that will not show in the non-www cookie.
              yeah that should be all ok, I've checked that

thanks for your input

cheers

Comment

Nicholas,

If this is sstill outstanding, first off try this, in the network setup area, run a test to see if it passes, if that does, increment the script ID number by 1 and then refresh your site.

If that has not worked, let us know and we can take it from there.

Kind regards,
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
                  Nicholas,

If this is sstill outstanding, first off try this, in the network setup area, run a test to see if it passes, if that does, increment the script ID number by 1 and then refresh your site.

If that has not worked, let us know and we can take it from there.

Kind regards,
                  Hi Bruce

Thanks for replying. This still hasn't been resolved. I kind of thought it would fix its self. It only seems to have happened since we moved to a dedicated server. Previous we had no problems.

I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. I am sure the network test will come back fine, but changing the script ID might work. It is on 1 at the moment (that's the CGI Script ID?)

thanks
                  Nick

Comment

Yes, that's the one.

Regards,
                    Bruce King
                    SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                    X