Search problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search problem

I've got a problem with the search facility on my website. Product references often include forward slashes or dashes (/ or -) and sometimes have a space in them. If we publish an ad containing these references people searching for them on our website cannot find them as they get a message saying "No matching products"

Does anyone know of a way to make sure that products containing these characters are found? We can't change the product references as we've always used these and there are too many of them to change anyway!
    Cheers
    Stuart

Have you got those characters included into the valid characters list?

Comment

Unless Lee's suggestion works... change them.

How will your customer know if your product names have '/' or '_' etc.

They will only search for text.

I had a similar problem, I was naming my products Safety Sign including text "Hazard Warning"

..... of course when you search for a Hazard Warning sign you don't put inverted commas around your entry on the Search Form field.

As a result, I renamed all of my products and included a space before and after the inverted comma's.

Sounds stupid, but it works and the product title is still effective.

Safety Sign including text " Hazard Warning "

If you have hundreds of products, and cannot face a rename, search for export catalogue and modify in access.. you can almost cut and paste into excel, use some of the STRING fucntions and remove any unwanted syntax.

Sounds complicated, but the EXCEL bit is easy... i'm not sure about managing the Actinic database though.

Anyone....... ?
      esafetysigns.co.uk
      your instant download portal for self printable health and safety signs and posters
      ... download once use as many times as you like !

http://www.esafetysigns.co.uk/index.html
      http://www.esafetysigns.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Comment

Working...
      X