Adding actinic to new pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding actinic to new pc

Help, I currently run act v7 on 2 seperate pc's although only 1 ever has control i-e i export and import the site to and fro depending on where i am. I have now loaded actinic onto a laptop and seems to have loaded ok, but when i open actinic the following error says

Write access is denied to site/actinicextras.js
    Check file permissions and try again

What is this, can you please help?

Thanks
    Bob

If you are now running Vista on your new laptop..
    Then you need to be using the latest version of Actinic 7.
    Try a search and you will find a lot of threads related to Vista and Actinic.

If not then perhaps someone else has other ideas...

Comment

yes it is new and running vista, but my pc is also only 6m old and i painfully upgraded it to vista and it runs 7.0.6 fine

Comment

Write access is denied to site/actinicextras.js
        Check file permissions and try again
        Whilst i don't run Vista, i do recollect seeing other posts about Vista talking about User Account Control (UAC), maybe a forum search would assist you?

Comment

Vista site files read only

I have experienced the situation in Vista where the site files are read only for a particular user by default, presumably because they are in the programs folder on C: drive. I changed the user's permissions (ie permission to change files) and was fine after this (search on Google to find out how to do this)

Briefly - if you go into "my computer" and view the properties (right click, properties) for certain folders/files you will see that they are read only or part read only - select the relevant folder/files, right click and use security tab to grant relevant user "full control". This is one of those processes which can take a few tries to work.

I'm not a Vista expert, but I think this is a separate issue to UAC, which we have not had to disable, as some recommend.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Thanks. When you say change permissions, do you mean in actinic. I could try this on my current pc which i use actinic daily, but i cant even open it on my new laptop.

Ta

Bob

Comment

Ok the thing i am unsure of here is Vista doesn't allow you to keep data files within Program files folder.

With v8 this is resolved by offering to install into 2 folders ie data goes to my Documents and the exe etc goes to Program Files.

How does this get resolved in 7.06?

but to follow

When you say change permissions, do you mean in actinic.
              is answered with

Briefly - if you go into "my computer" and view the properties (right click, properties) for certain folders/files you will see that they are read only or part read only - select the relevant folder/files, right click and use security tab to grant relevant user "full control". This is one of those processes which can take a few tries to work.
              isn't it?

Comment

We are running the latest version of V7 in Vista with exactly the same file structure as in XP, ie ALL files are in C:/program files/etc etc

However, you have to explicitly grant "full control" of the relevant files (we have granted it on all files in the Actinic folder) to the person/user who will be running Actinic, as I have described, otherwise it will not run because the default is that the files are "read only".

The only glitchlet we have encountered so far is that you cannot print packing lists from the summary of orders - you have to open each order and do it from there, but tht is not a huge issue for us.

Hope this helps

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Thanks for your help - still no joy though - My error messages read in full as;

Write access is denied to c:\Program Files\Actinicv7\sites\site1\actinicextras.js. Access to C:\Program Files\Actinicv7\sites\site1\actinicextras.js. was denied. Please check the file permissions and try again or select a different file.

Followed by

The theme change was aborted. Please correct any errors and reselect the theme before continuing.

Followed by

A Serious error occured:The default theme and templates could not be activated. Please contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropiate.

I have been into all of the files - right clicked properties - click security - changed all users to full control and applied then ok'd - even restarted.

No difference.

Problem is with all the above - i dont even have a site 1 yet on this machine as it 2 days old and the 1st thing i have tried to load is Actinic. Actinic after being installed has not yet breathed on this machine so when you enter actinic7\sites the folder is empty as is the backup.

AAAAArrrrggghh

Comment

Problem is with all the above - i dont even have a site 1 yet on this machine as it 2 days old and the 1st thing i have tried to load is Actinic. Actinic after being installed has not yet breathed on this machine so when you enter actinic7\sites the folder is empty as is the backup.
                    Surely that is your problem then?

When you install Actinic you should get a default site1

Comment

no - i have installed actinic and if i go my computer - c: - program files - actinic - site ( this is empty) ?

Comment

So as I just said the fact you don't have site1 folder is the problem the permissions error on the js is a symptom, you get a permissions error because it isn't there.

A crorect install will give you are site folder

Have you done a PC search on actinicextras.js to see if the site folder is anywhere else?

I can't help anymore as I don't use Vista.

Comment

Your sites directory will probably be in your documents folder, or the all users documents folder, depending on the option you chose when you installed it.

Regards,
                          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                          Multichannel order processing
                          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

a search for actinicextras.js comes up blank. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and chosen c: to install. the process works , no hitches says installation is complete. But it simply will not open for all of the above. I know what you are saying about making a site 1 simply by installing but it dosent happen.
                            Thanks for all of your help anyway

Comment

Now by chance i went to the Actinic website - and on the front page it says

Windows Vista Compatibility

Actinic v8.5 (released 26th Feb) and v7.0.7 offer full compatibility with Vista.
                              you are using 7.06

Comment

Working...
                              X