Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosting Advice - Windows or Linux????

Hello

I need to move about 7 actinic sites to a UK company as a few of of sites are running so slow and a few others are running fast. The only response from the currently hosting company is there must be server load issues.

So based on that I am going to move them all. I need some advice on what server to use. I currently use a windows server as we use ASP on all non catalog pages but after a search through tis forum it seems to be Linux machines that are winning.

Does Actinic run better on Linux?

I am looking at 4Surehosting and 1and1 and the moment but am unsure what plans I should be looking at really so any advice would be apericated.

I know nothing of PHP so am a little cautious of a linux plan to be honest.

Maybe I should be looking at a dedicated server to put them all on. Already got some good advice from Pinbrook but would like a few more perspectives if possible.

Thanks

John

if you choose the correct host then windows hosting is fine so out of those 2 I'd recommend 4 sure.

Although we can also do windows servers with ASP, etc and actinic ready, etc

Comment

We've had no problems at all with 1&1 in the past, but we are now moving to Webfusion because their servers are in the UK, whereas 1&1's are in Germany.

As an example, Webfusion's reseller package should accomodate all the sites.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
        As an example, Webfusion's reseller package should accomodate all the sites.
        Hi Mark

Did you go for the Windows or Unix versions?

Comment

Have 1and1 Linux Business Pro package. Can't rate it high enough. Can't see a problem with servers being in Germany. I have a '.co.uk' domain.

Its fast, full of features and I've had no down time that I'm aware of (in last 3 years).

Comment

Current 1 & 1 Windows packages are NOT suitable for Actinic.

1 & 1 Linux cannot handle the ASP pages.

I would have to recommend Pinbrook or 4Sure.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

We went Unix - conventionally this is regarded as the more robust platform, it is a bit less hassle with Actinic, and we didn't need Windows functionality.

1&1 is great, and probably not a problem with .co.uk, but a couple of ours are .coms, which is a no no with non-uk servers.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
              X