Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we get our own server to run multiuser? Please help

Hi all,

We are upgrading to multiuser shortly and have been advised by some IT consultants that we need a server, and by some that we do not.

Server systems and software quotes coming in at least twice the price of simple networked system

What is your experience with multi user-with or without server

Please help-we are very confused and it is hindering us making a decision

Kate

Kate, i would investigate the speed of MU before you do anything, have a read and make sure that you are happy with it before plunging.

Comment

You should look at the overall office network structure as well as just MU. A "proper" server (not just a desktop machine acting as a server) opens up a whole new proposition in running an office.. roaming profiles, redundancy, centralised backup etc.

We have just installed a behemoth into the office (actually it was far too loud for the office so it now resides in its own room!) at great expense .. this has improved productivity no end ... no down time, no waiting for files, central storage .. well worth the money. Whilst we do not run MU on this our internal software runs at around 300mb database and the increase in speed is phenomenal... it will be greatly appreciated at the busy Christmas period.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I'd also keep your questions on one topic to one thread

there is a duplicate thread here - also started by you

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=31452

Comment

Thanks for the feedback-much appreciated.

I posted question on V7 and V8 groups to try and get as much feedback as possible. We are currently V7 but about to upgrade to V8 so thought both forums may give useful feedback-did not think this would be a problem. Apologies if I broke a rule.

We have to go muiltiuser-as not having it is causing us problems-fighting over pc with actinic loaded on!

Thanks for the feedback on the server John-our current system does seem painfully slow at times so a server may be a huge benefit-alternative we are looking at is to network 5pc's with multiuser

Kate

Comment

Working...
          X