Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allowing customer to pickup products from a collection point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowing customer to pickup products from a collection point?

Hi - what is the best way to set up to setup Actinic to allow customers to pickup products from a collection point (free delivery) instead of having them delivered? How would this be displayed to the customers on the checkout pages?

I currently deliver to 3 countries, England, Wales & Scotland with each of them have 1 distinct delivery cost - therefore only the "Shipping Country Destination" is shown on the checkout pages.

TIA
    Regards
    David

oops - I should have said that the delivery charge to each country is based on order value.
    Regards
    David

Comment

We have pickup (zero charge) as a shipping method on our site but it does have an unfortunate consequence.

Any order from in the region which offers the option gets set to pickup by default. The customer can change the selection and have the goods sent to them but often they don't notice that the wrong option has been selected.

This behaviour seems to be the way Actinic was designed to work; i.e. it automatically selects the cheapest shipping option. This is undesirable in our case. Only the most local of customers want to collect the goods themselves. We would prefer to be able to specify the default shipping method, or even better, rank the methods in decending order of preference.

If your can live with this behaviour then it is easy to do.

For shipping based on weight: On the Shipping tab define your new shipping method with a single charge band (e.g. Weight 1kg, Cost 0.00) and then set the Excess option to "Take the highest value in the table".

Sorry, but I have never used shipping based on value...
      Chris Brown

Comment

Hi Chris - thanks for the replt.

I assume that the option of "Pickup" then displays as an option in the "class of service" function in the checkout stage?
        Regards
        David

Comment

That's right.
          Chris Brown

Comment

Hi - I have been having a play around with this and could see there being a lot of confusion if someone ticks the box for "If you want to ship to an address other than the invoice address, check this box:" and also chooses to "Pickup".

Is there an option or workaround available not to show the delivery address fields if someone chooses the "pickup" option?
            Regards
            David

Comment

Hadn't thought of that! I suppose that it would not be too difficult to write some Javascript to validate that the customer has not selected both "deliver to another address" and "pickup" but I don't have such a script to hand.
              Chris Brown

Comment

Don't have a suggestion for the javascript, I'm afraid, but may be able to help with the order shipping classes are displayed in the dropdown list:
                This behaviour seems to be the way Actinic was designed to work; i.e. it automatically selects the cheapest shipping option.
                The order can be selected by customising ShippingTemplate.pl in the local Site1\ShipControl\ sub-folder. Search for 'ACTINIC CUSTOMISE: Sort the shipping options' without the quotes. You'll see there are four different sort options, all are commented out apart from the first which is the default. To change the order, comment out the first option (add a # at the beginning of the line) and uncomment your selected option. Then save the file and refresh the site.
                Ben Popplestone
                Ecommerce website software

Comment

Not the desired result.

Firstly, there is an error in the Perl script. In the last two (commented out) options, the spaceship operator "<=>" should be changed to "cmp". The spaceship is for numeric values, cmp is for strings. Once these changes are made and the desired option uncommented, the order is as advertised.

Unfortunately the same option is still selected by default; i.e. the cheapest (in our case the free pickup option)

But I haven't given up. I am going to have a further root around and see if I can force the default option...

Please inform the developers about the Perl bug.
                  Chris Brown

Comment

Half right

Sorry, I was only half correct in my previous reply.

The Perl errors still need to corrected.

But the first option in the list is selected by default just as I wanted. I had forgotten to delete my cookies.
                    Chris Brown

Comment

Please inform the developers about the Perl bug.
                      I have done so. Thanks for pointing it out.
                      Ben Popplestone
                      Ecommerce website software

Comment

I suppose that it would not be too difficult to write some Javascript to validate that the customer has not selected both "deliver to another address" and "pickup" but I don't have such a script to hand.
                        Hi - I have had a good look at this and I'm a bit lost on how to do it - can anybody help - TIA
                        Regards
                        David

Comment

Check out this knowledge base article...

http://knowledge.actinic.com/users/k...00.html#aGC192

Comment

Is that supposed to read ShippingTemplate.pl ?? rather than ActinicShipping.pl or does it depend on which version you are running???

Comment

It looks like a typo - I'll correct the knowledge base.

It should be 'ShippingTemplate.pl'.

Comment

Working...
                              X