search for whole search string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, i have a client who sells thousands of car parts....and these car parts can be used in various car makes and models....i am trying to build a search facility where a customer selects their car make model and year etc and the type of product they want to find and it brings up matching results by searching the description which will basically be a list of all the cars/makes and models that part fits.

I couldnt do it with search properties because there would have been limitless numbers i would have had to specify.

my problem is i need the search facility to search for the whole search term together such as "ford mondeo 2000" as a whole string rather thatn just those three word....i need it to only bring up the result if those words are together in that order.

you can see the example model i am working on here if you search for a ford mondeo 2001 you see the issue.

http://www.test.net-fusion.co.uk/acatalog/search.html

thanks.

Hi Steven

Please try the following work-around:

1. Go to Advanced | Template manager | Searching. (If you see a graphical view, click on Change View, so you see a Tabs and buttons format)

2. Click on the first label - "Search" to open Act_SearchTemplate.html

3. Find the lines :
    NETQUOTEVAR:SEARCHCOMBINE
    <input type=RADIO name="TB" CHECKED value="A">
    NETQUOTEVAR:SEARCHANDSTRING
    <input type=RADIO name="TB" value="O">
    NETQUOTEVAR:SEARCHORSTRING&nbsp;NETQUOTEVAR:SEARCHCOMBINEINFO
    Comment out these lines and replace with :
    <input type=HIDDEN name="TB" value="A">
    This should now allow customers to search for the whole string instead of matching words.

Hope this helps.
    Krithika Chandrasekar
    SellerDeck

sigpic

E-commerce software by SellerDeck

Comment

Hi,

unfortunately that just does the same thing.....it just searches for all three words no matter what order they are in e.g

if i search for

ford mondeo 2001

it still shows

ford mondeo 2000, ford focus 2001

as a search result....i gathered it would be a case of changing the radio values.....is 'A' and 'O' the only option....im sure i have used others before but it was a long time ago??

cheers

Comment

Hi Steven

It works OK for me. I have added these 2 products to my Catalogue, and when I search for ford mondeo 2001, it says No matching products found, and only returns results if I search for ford mondeo 2000.
        Please take a look at my uploaded site here

I am attaching my Search template as well, so you can compare with yours.

Let me know how you get on.
        Attached Files
        Krithika Chandrasekar
        SellerDeck

sigpic

Comment

Hi Krithika,

im not sure if i explained properly....its the product description that i need to search through....not the product name.

in the product description i will have a list like this:

ford mondeo 2000, ford focus 2001, citreon saxo 2003 etc

and i need it to pick out the phrase like

ford mondeo 2000, ford focus 2000, citreon saxo 2003 etc

NOT

ford mondeo 2000, ford focus 2001, citreon saxo 2003 etc

i tried your template....and it still didnt work.....i havent really changed anything else?

cheers

Comment

Hi Steven

Sorry for the delay. I have asked the development team if this can be done, and will post their reply here.
            Krithika Chandrasekar
            SellerDeck

sigpic

Comment

Hi Steven

Actinic does not have the ability to search by product description. I have added this to the wish list for you to be considered for future versions.
              Krithika Chandrasekar
              SellerDeck

sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for looking into it for me........This is for v7 we are talking about isnt it.....only thing is.....i have it set up at the moment so it is actually searching the product description.

it searches the text in the description....but my problem is just specifying the correct search criteria......im sure it can be done.....im sure norman would know the way round lol.....that man seems to have the answer for everything.

Thanks anyway though.

Comment

Working...
                X