Just a couple of "How To's"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a couple of "How To's"

1) How do I remove the coupons box on the checkout page?
    2) On the search results I'm getting a question mark where the pound sign (£) should be? This doesn't happen on the product page just on the search results page...any ideas
    P.S. Its also doing this on the checkout page eg. Standard Shipping (?3.50)

Answer Please..BUMP...

Comment

11 hour overnight bump - i'd remove your post, thats almost a guarantee of no answer - bumping achieves nothing apart from longer response times - people do sleep you know!

Answer to your main problem is in the forum already, have you searched the forum or the KB? be much quicker than waiting around. Try the KB thread in the wishlist, sure its in there somewhere.

Comment

yep (2) is in the KB thread i started in thewishlist forum

how to comment out any code is within the general forum

if you had searched last night you would have had the answer within 5 mins.

Comment

KB thread?...Iv'e been in the the Wish List forum.....no luck finding the thread
          Search? - My search revealed nothing...
          I'm not even sure what to search for....some help please (maybe a link to a thread would be good)

Comment

Well i 've just been to the wishlist forum and there is a thread called "Suggested New Articles for KB "

Comment

Stuart, the success of the search facility on the forum has for a long time been mocked. It is somewhat difficult for us experienced users to understand this as we have learnt to think laterally when searching and know that the answer is there, you just have to use the correct search term. A typical example is searching for the key part of an error message instead of all of it.

The forum has been undergoing a pretty radical change of late with the main aim to help people like yourself to find the information that is already here. Could you possibly take the time to explain what you searched for, for how long and what did you think was the main problem in you not finding anything?

This sort of information off people like yourself would be very valuable in helping to get this forum better and more user-friendly.

Thanks.

Comment

OK
                To start with I did find the thread "Suggested New Articles for KB " This thread was full of "How To's" one of which one was entitled "£ pound symbol shows as a square" (maybe this was what PINBROOK was refering to). I did read through this and decided it wasn't the problem I was experiencing as:
                a) My website did reveal the '£' sign in all my product pages without a problem
                b) It only occured while returning search results

The way I use the search on this website is normally by:
                a) thinking about what problem I'm experiencing
                b) trying to "shorten" this to a few (or even a single) word
                c) searching.........

In this particular case I tried
                "£ sign"
                "? sign"
                "currency sign"
                "currency sign problem"
                "? instead of £"
                and probably lots more that I can't remember now.........

I then phoned Actinic (as I am an Actinic cover customer) and spoke to a lady in India who said she would get back to me as she didn't have an answer (and never did) Reference - 117805

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to do that Stuart, it certainly helps to be reminded of how we all started to look for things, it is often easy to forget how confusing things can be at the start.

The £ symbol thread you mention, should be the problem in your situation i would expect, i have not seen this problem due to any other reason and Pinbrook is a hosting company, so she knows far more than me. Check your encoding would still be my first step.

As for hiding anything, with html (to help you go back to it at a later date and understand), you can add comments to the code. These comments show in a different colour to the rest of the code and they are not parsed (read by the browser). When you want to remove something, rather than delete it (you never know when you might want it back), we comment it out, so we are making it look like a comment, it then gets ignored etc.

<!--<p>this text is commented out</p>-->
                  <p>this text is not commented out</p>

By adopting this approach you are always keeping the original code just obscuring it, which is a good practice when you are playing with items on which you have little understanding. Even experienced coders adopt this approach as it can be very difficult to recall what you deleted 6 months down the line when you want it back. If you commented it out, you just uncomment it, when you want it back.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart J Sykes
                    Answer Please..BUMP...
                    Bloody cheek

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
                    X