Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Administering Actinic From Several Loations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Administering Actinic From Several Loations?

Does anyone know if there is any possible way that you could upload products/changes from two different locations.

i.e. have two people adding new products, in different locations and not overwriting the others changes when completing an upload?

I cant see anyway of doing it.
    http://www.skatewarehouse.co.uk/

In the softwares current form it is not possible to do what you are after, i.e. two locations doing updates at the exact same time.

The only way to do alternate locations not at the same time would be to create snapshots and ftp them to a central location, which is then downloaded by the other person to work on, which is then reuploaded etc etc, but not really viable as still potential for conflicts.

Unless a version of Actinic is created that works using an external Database located on a web server or FTP server, then true remote mutliple updates wont be possible, but you never know, Actinic has been asked this a few times before, so maybe something could be in the pipeline in future major versions, but that would be for Actinic to let us all know about if such a version is likely in the future.

Comment

Hey, thanks for that, I would have thought quite alot of people would be in the same situation, like you say mabye they will plan something for the future.

So if I uploaded a snapshot, downloaded it at location 2, then uploaded again, would I need to do a full upload to Actinic from the original location or would it sync with the snapshot held on the central server?

TIA

Comment

In this scenario say:

PC1: has the original maintenance copy of the software and then makes its changes to the site and local Db's, and updates the site.

PC1: then uploads the snapshot to an FTP location.

PC2: then downloads the snapshot from the FTP location.

PC2: then does the changes to it and updates thr site.

PC2: then uploads the new snapshot to the FTP location.

That would be the basics of it. BUT.......

Although Actinic allow 1 licenced copy of the software to be used for Site Maintenance and on another machine for Order Downloads, I doubt if the licence allows for two machines maintaining the site, so you might want to confirm with Actinic whether you are allowed under your licence to do it this way in its current form of operation.

Comment

the easiest way to adminster actinic from several locations would be by using Windows XP remote desktop or a service like www.gotomypc.com

Comment

Paul

Thats a great idea!! Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X