Unfamiliar Network Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfamiliar Network Settings

I've just been asked to look after someones web site and have got their ftp details etc. I have asked for a copy of their site1 folder and asked them to read out their network settings.

They have the following

hosting uers ID
    hosting password
    hosting shop ID
    Hosting URL

I take it this is a different version to the one I am used to. It is version 4 and their catalog is on a completey different URL to their web site. Some questions

What verison of actinic is this?, Is it HOST I've read about

Can I control this web site by adding a new license to my exisitng version of 4 which has two other sites installed?

If not can I install this version along side that version.

How do I get the network settings to prompt me for these settings and no the usual ones?

Thanks
    David Brown
    01253 623752
    Bursting With Health
    sales@burstingwithhealth.co.uk
    http://www.burstingwithhealth.co.uk

I can't remember whether v4 has this, but later versions definitely have a "Convert" button within network settings which allows you to convert from Host mode to Normal mode.

In host mode, multiple copies of Actinic on different machines share the same perl scripts at a single web site.

If the convert button is there and you use it, just make sure that you back up the entire folder before doing so.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
    Chris
    Actinic

Comment

Chris

Thanks, yes there is a convert button, which leads to a couple of questions

According to ver.fil the version on the server is 4 BASA and my PC install has been patched to 4.1.1 CBXA, will this cause problems or is it not an issue with HOST, I presume when you upload to HOST it doesn't take all the scripts.

If this is a problem do I have to have a machine dedicated to running that version of catalog. I was hoping to add the license to the version I've already got, is this possible.

Thanks
      David Brown
      01253 623752
      Bursting With Health

Comment

Any scripts that you change on the desktop will not make any difference to the store, so your patches won't take effect. Also, if your desktop is not compatible with the Host install, it probably won't run correctly ( it will probably refuse to work at all - later versions handle conflicts in this area much better).

The license key is the same for running in both Host and Normal mode. I can't remember if you can get back to Host mode after clicking "Convert".

My suggestion is that you license a new site using the key from the Host-mode site, bring in the Site1 data (to the new site!), Convert to normal mode and then upload the new site as normal. The only problem is the change of host and URL's.

Chris
        Actinic

Comment

Chris

I want to keep it as a HOST version site and keep the other sites as standard.

Can I have standard sites and the HOST version running on the same software on my desk top?

Thanks
          David Brown
          01253 623752
          Bursting With Health

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that you probably can.

However, you would have to downgrade all of the other sites back to the version used for Host, so the better solution is to load the host site onto a different PC.

Chris
            Actinic

Comment

Working...
            X