Acatalog files listed on google but never uploaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acatalog files listed on google but never uploaded

Bit of a strange one this but please bear with me.

Up until last week my site was rated in the top 5 on google, now it isn't even in the top 100. The problem seems to be that there are a lot of unfound url's on the site that have been listed as being in the acatalog directory. Now none of these files have ever been uploaded to this directory or even the server.

Now it seems that other sites are listing through our directory causing our sites ranking to plummet due to illegal activity.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how was it resolved.

wow...you do have a lot of listings pages indexed on google, don't you?

If they're not in your catalogue, then they've obviously being ftp-ed up there by somebody
    Hacked by a competitor/rival/bored teenager, maybe?

Have you tried fpt-ing into your site to see what files are in your acatalog folder that shouldn't be?
    I think I'd be tempted to delete EVERYTHING and refresh your site...and perhaps put a redirect so that all these listed links go to your store?? Someone more SEO savvy would be better to advise you on that part but certainly something looks suspect, doesn't it?
    Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by scott c
      ...Now it seems that other sites are listing through our directory causing our sites ranking to plummet due to illegal activity...
      Can you be more specfic? What do you mean by 'other sites are listing through our directory'?

EDIT: I see what you mean - looks like your site's been comprimised. Download orders, change your passwords, wipe the webspace and reupload.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

They haven't been ftp'd by anyone - the last details changed were on friday and even then it was only 3 pages. Only 2 people have the ftp details and i usually change a page or upload an image everyday so I usually notice what's going on. I only really noticed it today when my google stats showed 107 unfound pages

Comment

Yep, looks like you have been hacked, there are pages in your acatalog directory advertising cracks, serials etc.

Speak to your host immediately and have them clean the server.
          Cheers

David
          Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
            Can you be more specfic? What do you mean by 'other sites are listing through our directory'?
            well not specific sites, all thats being brought up is a directory listing for services

Comment

Thanks for the help folks - looks like i'll be busy over the next few days

Edit : Think i found the resolution on this. The htaccess file that was uploaded had been changed, that was causing the indexing problems

Comment

Originally posted by scott c
                Edit : Think i found the resolution on this. The htaccess file that was uploaded had been changed, that was causing the indexing problems
                You have advised your host of the hack of your site though, haven't you?
                Cheers

David
                Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Working...
                X