Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly my emails stopped!

Hi
    Originally I had problems loading my website http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/
    and Bill Campbell sorted it out and its run fine since last year - still appreciated thanks Bill. The only hiccups have been self inflicted html in brochure pages.

The site still runs fine except that after the 6th August all the website email enquires stopped. I tried a test email and the 'Contact us' and 'link' on the Home Page which brings up the Actinic form, it’s duly filled in and then it just hangs and I eventually get the timed out no internet connection. At first I thought it was my router - No its fine. Then the internet connection - its fine too. Went back to before the 6th and imported back-up but still have the problem so dont think its the Actinic program.

I read through the forum that the problem might be 'port 25' and so have asked Orange/Wanadoo to allow access on this as I am grasping at straws. I'm still waiting a reply.

I did a Test on the 'Network' and its still as Bill left it but it never worked on test anyway so not sure. I got a message saying Operation timed out! which is not a suprise and the following detail:
    The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI script extension, the path to CGI-BIN, and the CGI-BIN URL. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts.

The SMTP is set at localhost. No password or authentication.

Any help and the direction I need to take would be much appreciated

thanks

Your error log is full of entries like this:

Program = MailForm, Program version = 3 , HTTP Server = Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_jk/1., Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2007/08/10 10:24, Internal Errors = Unable to connect to the mail socket (Connection timed out)
    Program = MailForm, Program version = 3 , HTTP Server = Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_jk/1., Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2007/08/10 11:31, Internal Errors = Unable to connect to the mail socket (Connection timed out)
    Program = MailForm, Program version = 3 , HTTP Server = Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) mod_jk/1., Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2007/08/10 11:35, Internal Errors = Unable to connect to the mail socket (Connection timed out)
    So it would appear that actinic is unable to connect to your mail server.

I would contact your host and see what they say. The details above should be enough for them to look into it.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I am in the dark here - as to where to find the info you have. When you say "Your error log is full of entries like this:............
      Is there somewhere I can check this to see what is what for future reference when its back to normal ?
      I don’t know where to look.

What is confusing, is that I have done updates and uploaded each week and there seems to be no problem. All the updates have taken - so why should the email be the first sign of anything untoward?

thanks

Comment

http://www.guitartechnicalservices.c...alog/error.err

Comment

Typically: http://www. mydomain.com/acatalog/error.err

Comment

Its that simple! I've learnt something new - and shall now go and find out from my website host what the problem is. At least I know what direction to go in.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Comment

good call mr alan, you're a model citizen. get back to us now and let us know how it all went.

kthx.

Comment

So far I have had a poor response from my website hosting - as in:
                “We are not carrying out any maintenance on any servers. What kind of script does your feedback form use, have you tried our own php contact form which works well.”
                I have explained that nothing has been touched on the actinic program and waiting for another reply.
                So now I'm looking for another hosting company but in the meantime, is there anything that I can check within the control panel which seems extensive?
                It is the cPanel X system on Fasthost. Bearing in mind I'm in un-chartered territory here.

Comment

Hi Mike

I eventually got this message from the webhost company

It seems due to recent high spam and dos attacks across the network which I have noticed on 4 out of my 5 servers, the Data Centre made changes to the firewall. See there message below:

"The firewall is configured to block send email directly through port 25 using sockets. In those cases, they should be configured to use the PHP mail() function, or /var/sbin/sendmail binary instead.

If you want to allow scripts to send out email through port 25 (which we would definitely not recommend as this is the primary way that spammers send out email from a compromised script and you will be held responsible for any spam sent via the server and possibly having it suspended) then you would have to make a request in writing ...." /etc/csf/csf.conf and set:[/

so...........it looks like I will have to find one of the solutions to it that I have come across here on the forum. Unless you can direct me to the 'quick fix' solution.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

try using a different port.
                    See here (post 8):
                    http://community.actinic.com/showthr...ge+port+number

Otherwise time to change hosts.

Comment

Hi Mike,

The update so far is that I altered Actinic.pm to 8 and 24 as the later was suggested as possible too, but both 'Test' in Network and also 'Live' failed. The Network Test resulted in - timed out! and the live test gave me 'No connection on this mail socket - access denied.

Currently, I am waiting to hear if another port is available.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Mike

Well, we've tried port 26 as well and still nothing. Its not looking very good and if I cannot find a free port to change to, is that it? - Curtains to e-mails? If so, I will have to find another webhost pretty quick. Is there some other alternative to this as it seems this is becoming a regular issue - closing port 25. Just point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Comment

some hosts allow access through port 587

Comment

Hi All

If port 587 was the last chance saloon then I'm dead in the water ! As this failed too. Failing a reply from my webhost, it looks like I'm looking for another host. Surely, there must be another way round. I will wait to see what the webhost reply is first.

Thanks again

Comment

I've posted something on www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff (bottom of page) about using the Perl Mail::Mailer module instead of port 25. It's for older versions of Actinic but the Perl scripts aren't too different between these and V8.
                              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                              X