ftp. error occurred - cannot make connection to host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ftp. error occurred - cannot make connection to host

I have a gap at the top of each product page on my site so I was trying to make some changes which I had seen on another thread. However I cannot get any actinic files in remote view to make the changes to . .................. I am very challenged in all of this so any advice has to be put in simple plain english .............

www.thejewelleryroom.co.uk

Thanks in advance to anyone out there who can help

You can only make changes in actinic on your desktop, not on your server. If you change on server, each time you upload it will be overwritten. You need to take a look at the templates being used by your site and see if you can see anything. Given what you have mentioned so far though, i would suggest steering well clear as you could really cause some carnage.

If you do decide to mess with it, please please please take backups, snapshots and anything else before you start to cover your back.

Comment

so ............... I should make changes in local view, save and click on put files?

Comment

Open actinic, make your changes, click 'upload'.

This is how actinic works, it is a desktop package which sends the html pages and scripts etc. off to your server, ONCE you tell it to.

Comment

I should make changes in local view, save and click on put files
          Read the user guides - Actinic is NOT like Dreamweaver etc

Comment

thks for advice ......... when I click on put files I get
            ' Host found, connecting' then 'ftp. error occurred - cannot make connection to host'

Comment

when I click on put files
              Close your ftp programe and USE Actinic

Comment

thanks ........... I am using Actinic catalog now and sending files that way ............. what can I do about the gap at top of product pages?

Comment

what can I do about the gap at top of product pages?
                  Easy question - do a forum search before posting as most things have benn covered before.

Comment

One of your layouts is mesed up somewhere. Look at the source of your page - you will see repeats of this before your products:
                    <p/>
                    <input type="hidden" value="11" name="SID"/>
                    <input type="hidden" name="PAGE" value="PRODUCT"/>
                    <input type="hidden" name="PAGEFILENAME" value="Earrings.html"/>
                    <p/>

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                      Easy question - do a forum search before posting as most things have benn covered before.
                      Did a forum search but didn't resolve my problem ....

Comment

We only ask people to do a forum search when we know the question has already been both asked before and answered.

The google search option in the toolbar will often return better results than the inbuilt vbulletin one.

If you have searched and not found a relevant reply please tell us what you have found and rejected, this helps us in not having to re-invent the wheel.

Comment

We only ask people to do a forum search when we know the question has already been both asked before and answered
                          As jo says - I know its been answered because I answered it a couple of months ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X