windows 2003 servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows 2003 servers

Is any one actually working successfully on a windows 2003 server? Quite a few people seemed to have had problems but they were fasthosts, so I don't know if it their servers or the windows 2003 in genereal.
    Any feedback would be interesting!
    Jenny
    Hanson Web Design
    www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
    jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
    Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Hi there.

I have set a test Windows 2003 server here, which runs Actinic OK. The one thing I did notice about it, is that it did not run perl even though perl was installed and it was mapped to the cgi-bin.

The only way I have been able to get the server working so far, is to enable all cgi extensions, if I do not, the server comes up with a "page cannot be displayed" error when running perl.

Hope this is of use
    Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

The only way I have been able to get the server working so far, is to enable all cgi extensions
      I must point out that this is not very secure, but I can't get it working yet any other way!
      Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

Should people be warned about not hosting on windows 2003 servers or not do you think? My site works some of the time but tends to fail at busy times of the day with cgi failures and http header errors..
        Jenny
        Hanson Web Design

Comment

My site works some of the time but tends to fail at busy times of the day with cgi failures and http header errors..
          I am guessing here, but it could be down to your host using throttling on your webspace, you could try asking them to relax this.
          Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

Hence the question is anybody else struggling with windows2003 servers, trying to get my proof together..
            Jenny
            Hanson Web Design

Comment

Same problem with 2003 servers

Hello there

I thought I'd reply to this thread although it's old because it is relevant to our problem.

We've just opened an actinic store which is on a Windows 2003 server with Fasthosts. It's the enterprise type server with load balance, supposedly to give more reliability. Everything works fine until we go to pass all the information to our credit card clearing house (protx) when we get a CGI timeout.

After conversations with Fasthosts it seems there's some incompatibility with Actinic on this type of server and they said that Actinic is aware of this. Is this true?

I think we may have to downgrade the server back to a 2003 single load to overcome the problem. I shall post any findings back here. If anyone has had similar problems, please post so that others don't waste hours trying to find answers

Regards Garry

Comment

I don't think Fasthosts can cope with actinic on any reseller server type, windows or linux.. (My opinion!) I have moved my actinic sites that were on the new servers away from them, too many problems finally tipped the balance.. The old windows servers seem fine with actinic so I have left them where they are.. You are welcome to contact me direct and give me a ring of you want to..
                Jenny
                Hanson Web Design

Comment

Hi

I am just about to move our site to Win 2003 after successful testing to ensure all is fine.

I had difficulty setting it up at first but this was mostly to do ith the vague support received from Actinic about win 2003.

We use a hosting company called Protec web (protecweb.co.uk) and the shared ssl with them. Protecweb have the best support I have ever encountered and the packages are fantastic.

Comment

Re protec

I use protec as well and I agree there support is fantastic

I am about to add an actinic shop to my site

Can you tell me what advice they gave you to set things up correctly

Comment

We moved it

We downgraded the server on Fasthosts to a Windows 2003, single spread package which the tech guy thought would work, but alas the same problem occurs. So with very little help from fasthosts (and slow at that) we decided to move the site onto a Verio windows server.

Hopefully this will work, I'll post my findings here.

Garry

Comment

Regarding Protec

If using the shared ssl all I asked them to do was map the secure catalog url to the non secure catalog.

e.g

https://www.mysecure.com/acatalog/

mapped to

http://www.mysite.com/acatalog/

If not using shared ssl wih them then all was set up fine already.

They should know what settings u need if u ask them.

My network settings are as follows if u need them.

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                        HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                        HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                        HTTPPROXYUSER
                        HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                        FTPPROXYMODE 0
                        FTPPROXYADDRESS
                        FTPPROXYPORT 21
                        FTPPROXYUSER
                        FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                        SCRIPTID 1
                        SCRIPTEXT .pl
                        SMTPHOST mail.mysite.co.uk
                        WEBSITEURL http://www.mysite.co.uk/
                        IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS false
                        USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                        PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
                        SSLCATALOGURL https://ws11.prossl.com/mysite-co-uk/acatalog/
                        SSLCGIBINURL https://ws11.prossl.com/mysite-co-uk/cgi-bin/
                        SSLPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG D:/Domains/mysite.co.uk/wwwroot/acatalog/
                        SSLCODEBASE ./
                        SSLFTPHOST ftp.mysite.co.uk
                        SSLFTPUSERNAME mysite.co.uk
                        SSLFTPPASSWORD ********************
                        SSLPATHTOCGIBIN /mysite.co.uk/ssl/cgi-bin/
                        SSLUSEPASSIVEFTP true
                        CATALOGURL http://www.mysite.co.uk/acatalog/
                        CGIBINURL http://www.mysite.co.uk/cgi-bin/
                        PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG D:/Domains/mysite.co.uk/wwwroot/acatalog/
                        CODEBASE ./
                        FTPHOST ftp.mysite.co.uk
                        FTPUSERNAME mysite.co.uk
                        FTPPASSWORD ********************
                        PATHTOCGIBIN /mysite.co.uk/wwwroot/cgi-bin/
                        USEPASSIVEFTP true
                        FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /mysite.co.uk/wwwroot/acatalog/

Thanks

Comment

Windows 2003 & catalog v4 (Protec)?

Moving a client's site from Fasthosts (NT) to Protec Windows 2003 server. Client has Catalog v4.0.7 which worked fine on Fasthosts (one of the few things that did!!) but on testing with Protec/Windows 2003 keep getting errors and if I try to upload it fails to merge files on the server. Actinic support say Catalog v4 is incompatible with Win 2003 but I don't want to have to force client to pay for an upgrade just because I've chosen to change hosts.

Anyone managed to get v4 to work on a Win 2003 server and if so, any tips?

Thanks

Comment

Hi there.

Anyone managed to get v4 to work on a Win 2003 server and if so, any tips?
                            I am afraid not, see if Fasthosts can move you to one of their Linux servers. Ask them at the same time if they can set up a couple of folders for you. The cgi-bin with a permission of 755 and an acatalog folder with permissions of 777.

Hope this helps
                            Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

see if Fasthosts can move you to one of their Linux servers.
                              Thanks, but have ditched Fasthosts altogether. Can thoroughly recommend Protec for Win 2003 hosting. This is only problem I've had and its clearly a Win 2003/Acrtinic v4 compatabilty issue and nothing to do with Protec.

Comment

Working...
                              X