Snapshot will not import into new installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapshot will not import into new installation

Hi, 3 weeks ago I decided to reinstall windows, and it cleared all programs on my computer, including Actinic. I reinstalled V6 using my original disc, and found a shapshot from July 07 amongst what was left. When I try to import the snapshot I get a 'fatal error' message, and asked to contact Actinic. so I did, and they have stopped support for v6, so I'm hoping someone amongst you will be able to help me get back in business. I'm in a real mess to say the least! I tried importing 3 different snapshots just in case the latest was corrupt, but it will not work with any. I then tried downloading v6 from actinic's website just in case mine was faulty, but I get to the unzip files stage and everything seems to stop which ever option I choose. Can anyone offer help or advice please? Cheers, Mike

If you do not know which version of v6 you was using, you may be forced to try everyone and see if any of them work. Did you test the snapshot before you got rid of anything? It may be corrupt and useless.

Comment

Hi,
      I had the lated upgrade downloaded, so I think it was 6.1.4. Test the snapshot? I have no idea how to I'm afraid. I'm pretty useless with computers to say the least. I just saved them after I'd done some work on the site, every week or so.
      Cheers, Mike

Comment

I wonder if you are on 6.1.4?

I'm on 6.1.5 and my website has

<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="accxecom7">
        Whereas yours has

<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="accxecom4">
        It looks as if this may refer to the version of actinic used but don't know the details. Maybe someone else here knows.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi, I have re-installed Actinic from my original CD, and it is version 6.1.3.
          Sorry if that cause confusion. I have tried to import a snapshot and I get this error message "There was an initialisation failure while starting the backup or import. Please contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropriate for advice.

There is 1 Fatal error"

I hope this helps someone to help me!

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Michael, installing from your CD is probably useless as it stands a great chance that the version your snapshot was made in, is different and a later version. The CD on which we all get actinic, is nothing better than a tea coaster within a very short time. It is the license key that is the valuable part.

You need to try loading each version of v6 above your CD version and try importing the snapshot. If it fails, upgrade to next version and try again etc etc etc.

One of the versions, should match your snapshot.

Comment

OK. This should help you.

Open your snapshot in winzip or similar and look for the file called instinf.txt . This has the version information in it on a line that looks like this:

VERSION_NO = EGRA

You can compare version numbers with the list here: http://support.actinic.com/versions/

Strangely V6.1.5 which is EGRA doesn't appear on the list. Who knows why.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot

Strangely V6.1.5 which is EGRA doesn't appear on the list. Who knows why.

Mike
                presumably because it is/was the "latest" version as neither 7.0.7 or 8.5.1 are listed either.
                Tracey

Comment

Unofficial versions on teclan's site - the latest ones are there but sure if it's EGRA:
                  http://www.teclan.co.uk/patch/v6.html

Comment

Thanks to leehack and olderscott et al, I have opened up my snapshot in notebook as suggested, and my snapshot is v 6.1.5 presumably as I updated the latest patches which were available. I have tried to download 6.1.4 to try from the website, but get stuck just after " 7 files have been successfully unzipped" Whichever option I choose from the choices offered at the end of this unzipping stage: Unzip | Zip | Close | Help nothing seems to happen, and the files are stored in a strange temporary folder I can't find!
                    After pleading again with Actinic support, they have kindly offered some help now, but I still have no answers, no website and no income! Perhaps Monday will bring a solution, or I'd better get a copy of the local papers' jobs section. I think that between you all, we will have a solution soon. Thanks again, Mike

Comment

Have you got a copy of 6.1.5 at all then?

It's available to download HERE
                      Tracey

Comment

Thanks to budget bumps and drownding, I downloaded 6.1.5 (it is EGRA whatever that means) and the snapshot has imported. Fantastic news, it looks like I'm back in business. Just wished I had a later snapshot than July but hey, It's working and I can update it! I have however, lost all past customer order details. Do you know how I can get those back please? is there a secret file hidden somewhere? Can't thank you all enough really other than say if any of our stuff on the site is your cup of tea, let me know, and there's a cracking deal to be done, maybe even a freeby!

Cheers,
                        Mike

PS Think I'll just go and watch the F1 now to de-stress!

Comment

Michael,

Unfortunately if you do not have a backup of the database then those are lost and there is not much that can be done to retrive them, guess thats why you have had no responses to this particular question.

Kind regards,
                          Bruce King
                          SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                          X