Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New vs Old header - comments appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New vs Old header - comments appreciated!

All

Following a grilling (a constructive grilling but a grilling non the less ) from the forum last week regarding my header I have started to make some changes.

I would appreciate the forums views...

New: http://www.kjbeckett.com/index.html

vs

Old: http://www.kjbeckett.com/acatalog/le...llets_p10.html

Does this new format seem an improvement? Is there anything else I can do?

Also - does anyone know how to reduce the white space between the bottom of the kj beckett logo and the thin horizontal black line? I cant figure out why this space is so wide?

Paul
    KJ Beckett
    Men's Clothing & Accessories
    Cufflinks, Underwear, Ties, Grooming Products
    Bath, England
    Fast delivery to UK, USA and worldwide.
    Men's Fashion Blog

It's looking much better however I still think your logo is floating.

Looking at the code I see you have compounded tables in your header some of which I'm sure you can simplify - this is adding complication to your spacings.

Comment

It's improved but looks cramped and some of the tabs are too hard to read.

Comment

Hi

Thanks.

When you say "floating" what do you mean? Too much white space makes the logo look like its floating?

Also the advanced search and site map text link uses the exact same code as the text in the left hand nav but the new one in the header has BOLD text. Can anyone see why that might be?

Paul
        KJ Beckett
        Bath, England
        Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Download Firefox and the Firebug add-on Paul, you can see why it is yourself then, rather than ask. You can also change things on the fly to see what changes what, helps you to change styles and more importantly understand them. Even those of us been using it for years use it, it's just easier to track things down.

Comment

Download Firefox and the Firebug add-on Paul
            Thanks. I will do this... I have been messing around this code for hours and can't get it to change. I have never used this tool before...
            KJ Beckett
            Bath, England
            Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Hi

I have downloaded Firebug which is excellent - being able to modify the code on the fly is such a powerful tool.

I have reduced the gaps to reduce floatation (I think) but can't remove the bold text from the Advanced Search and Site Map in the top right.

The code uses the EXACT same code (including same Span Class) as the code at the top of the left hand nav.

No matter what I do I can't remove the bold though. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Paul
              KJ Beckett
              Bath, England
              Men's Fashion Blog

Comment

Adding font-weight: normal; into a:link at the top of the page resolved the emboldening .. it must be inheriting the bold further down the style sheet.

Also 7.9pt is not a good unit to be using .. pt are for printed media not screen ... you should be using px (to fix a font size) or em to allow user scaling.

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
                X