other info prompt field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

other info prompt field

hi i am designing a site in which i may require the user to fill out a lengthy description of the specifications that they require. it would be ideal if they could use a <textarea> field as opposed to the text box as it is much more user friendly and easier to read. does anyone one if this is possible .

Many thanks

That's in the Advanced Guide which you can download from www.actinic.co.uk - just search for "textarea" and you'll be there.

If you need to collect a set of other info prompts then I've a (quite complex) patch that implements multiple other info prompts. It's on www.rouxel.cwc.net/actinicstuff.html along with other titbits.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

other info prompt

thanks for that , only when i view my pages this makes no difference at all. when i view the source code the input box remails as text. any suggestions as to why this is???

Comment

Where did you make your changes? They should be made to the templates in the Site1 folder, not in the PreviewHTML or SiteHTML.
        These folders are the result generated by Actinic.
        Chris Brown

Comment

yeah those changes were made in the Actinic interface Design Text 2161 area, but still to no avail.

Comment

Hi Alison,

What version of the software do you have? The way the other info prompt works in v6.1.3 is slightly different to previous versions. In order to get this to work you will need to make a script change as well as to Design | Text. Try the following:

Set the Design | Text Phase -1, ID 2161 to...

%s<textarea NAME="%s" ROWS="5" COLS="20" %d
            MAXLENGTH="%d">MyText%s</textarea>

Edit ActinicOrder.pm
            Search for 2161, you should see...

$sHTML = ACTINIC::GetPhrase(-1, 2161, "", $sIndex, 35, 1000, $sValue,
            $sStyle);

Comment out this line by preceding it with a #.
            Insert the following immediately after the above line...

$sHTML = ACTINIC::GetPhrase(-1, 2161);
            $sHTML =~ s/%d/%s/;
            $sHTML =~ s/>MyText/>/i;
            $sHTML = sprintf( $sHTML, "", $sIndex, $sStyle, 1000, $sValue);

This also puts some default text into the text box (replace 'MyText' in both parts for your default text). If you do not want to have an default text then remove 'MyText' from both and the 'Other Info Prompt' will remain a required field.

If you have a previous version of the software the Advanced User Guide information should work.

Actinic is not able to provide any detailed support for script changes made. If you find that there is a problem, an original copy of the script can be found within the 'Original' folder in your installation. Copy this into your site folder.
            Tracey
            SellerDeck

Comment

thanks. have version 6.1 so in theory the advanced guide recommdation should work . i'll have a ponder and get back..

Comment

Hi Alison,

I've just checked out the Advanced User Guide instructions in v6.1.0 (just to make sure ) and they do work. Are you copying and pasting the text from the AUG or re-typing it in?
                Tracey
                SellerDeck

Comment

i've been re typing. i guess i'll try copy and paste just in case....
                  Thanks

Comment

tried the copy and paste way and the text box still remains the same. we are all baffled here. don't know what else to do???

Comment

Hi Alison,

Can you send your snapshot to 'communityadmin@actinic.co.uk' (as long as it is no bigger than 8MB) and mark it for my attention and I will take a look at it for you.
                      Tracey
                      SellerDeck

Comment

The way the other info prompt works in v6.1.3 is slightly different to previous versions.
                        Aaarrgghhh. There are quite a lot of user out there using my Multiple Other Info patch. Could someone tell me what the differences are please and I'll start on a new patch if required.

I'm abroad for the next month or so with only 1 laptop so I can't run 6.1.2 (as at present) and 6.1.3 simultaneously.

Norman

Comment

Hi Norman,

Aaarrgghhh. There are quite a lot of user out there using my Multiple Other Info patch. Could someone tell me what the differences are please and I'll start on a new patch if required.
                          In pre-v6.1.3 the Design Text 2161 prompt was not used in the scripts. In the latest version it is referenced in ActinicOrder.pm under sub InfoHTMLGenerate.

If you try the AUG instructions for a text area in 6.1.3, it does not actually carry the inputted text through to the basket.

I hope this helps you in creating a new patch.
                          Tracey
                          SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks Tracey.

From what you say the patch may, in fact, work as is. If there's anyone using my Multi Other Info patch who've incorporated it into 6.1.3 could they please let me know how they got on (I'm stuck on 6.1.2 for the moment here).

Norman

Comment

Hi Norman,

Have you seen this thread? He is using v6.1.3 DHBA.
                              Tracey
                              SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                              X