Product Separator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Separator problem

Oh dear, I seem to have got myself into a bit of a tangle...

For some reason (which escapes me!) I did away with the Actinic product separator in favour of hard coding my own HR into the Act_productline templates, following Netquotevar: Next.

This seemed to work quite well until I tried applying different layouts to products within the same page. Although the other layouts include my code, the HR no longer shows when following a product with a different layout.

I thought I'd test this out with Actinics automated separator, but I can't remember how I disabled it, and so far have been unable to re-establish it!!

I've had a look through the various templates and found act_product separator, and suspect this is dragged into Act_productline template somehow?

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I can't give you a url to look at, as my host is upgrading the server - and causing all sorts of issues in the process. Not a good day!!

Many thanks,

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

Revert to a previous snapshot and start again

Comment

Revert to a previous snapshot and start again
      I don't have a snap shot going that far back unfortunately!

I have a copy of all the original templates, but I can't determine which one is bringing in the separator. I've compared templates, but can't see any difference.

Is there a Netquotevar that brings this in?

Myles
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Myles, Are you looking for
        NETQUOTEVAR:INCLUDE Act_ProductSeparator.html
        NETQUOTEVAR:ENDSEPARATOR

?

Here's a snippet from a standard Actinic Act_ProductLine1.html
        HTML Code:
        <!-- ProductLine1 HTML begin -->
        <!-- Insert HTML for the top of the individual product -->
        NETQUOTEVAR:INCLUDE Act_ProductSeparator.html
        NETQUOTEVAR:ENDSEPARATOR
        NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMBEGIN
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Incidentally, the standard content of a default V7 Act_ProductSeparator.html file is

HTML Code:
          <!-- ProductSeparator HTML begin -->
          <!-- This template specifies the product separators -->

<TR><TD COLSPAN="3">NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEBEGINXML<HR SIZE="1" ALIGN="CENTER" WIDTH="100%">NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML</TD></TR>

<!-- This template specifies the product separators -->
          <!-- ProductSeparator HTML end -->
          Fergus Weir - teclan ltd

SellerDeck Hosting

Comment

Hi Fergus,

My Act_Productline template shows:
            NETQUOTEVAR: ENDSEPARATOR NETQUOTEVAR: PRODUCTFORMBEGIN
            <!-- START each product lives in this table - alter below to rearrange items -->
            I tried adding in NETQUOTEVAR: INCLUDE Act_ProductSeparator.html but this totally changed my layout, making a very messy page.

I spotted the Act_ProductSeparator.html file a bit too late, after I substituted my own code. Otherwise I should have just edited that and saved myself a bunch of stress.

I'm considering copying the templates I've worked on to another directory, regenerating a new clean layout, and gradually re-introduce my edited templates to see where it breaks.

Anyone got a better idea?

Myles
            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Myles,
              If you removed the original Actinic product separator to replace with your own hard coded <HR>, then perhaps what you want is to simply change the Act_ProductSeparator.html HTML content to a simple <HR> and nothing else.

If your current Act_ProductSeparator.html is anything like the standard, i.e. full of <TD COLSPAN="3"> etc then this would quote possible damage any customised product layout. Incorrectly nested <tr>'s and <td>'s are often the cause of broken layouts.
              Fergus Weir - teclan ltd

SellerDeck Hosting

Comment

agreed..I had to remove the <tr> and <td> tags from a product separator on Jesters because it was really messing up the pages/layout

Added a simple <hr> and it works fine!
                Tracey

Comment

Hello Fergus,

I've managed to find an old Act_productLine template that I haven't previously messed with. I can see that is is NETQUOTEVAR: INCLUDE Act_ProductSeparator.html that is bringing in the HR. So I'm not sure why it didn't work when I included this.
                  full of <TD COLSPAN="3"> etc then this would quote possible damage any customised product layout.
                  That probably answers my question!
                  perhaps what you want is to simply change the Act_ProductSeparator.html HTML content to a simple <HR> and nothing else.
                  Yes, I think that's what I'll do.

Many thanks,

Myles
                  www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Thanks Tracey,

Nice avatar btw!

Myles
                    www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

I don't have a snap shot going that far back unfortunately!
                      Once you get the site fixed then ensure you do reguar snapshots in case you break it again

Comment

"........ensure you do reguar snapshots in case you break it again..."
                        Absolutely! I have been backing up daily, but then delete anything older than about a week. That still gives me six or seven snapshots on hand.

What happened here was that I didn't realise I'd broken anything as it all seemed to work nicely for a couple of weeks. It was only when trying to mix some different layouts I realised I was in trouble!

Got it all sorted now, as far as HR goes. My server is back in action, I can FTP once more, and the day is ending better than it started!

Thanks for the help.

Myles
                        www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

some of the more neurotic members of this community take snapshots hourly and keep hundreds of them. If you've got the disk space to store snapshots then use it.

Comment

some of the more neurotic members of this community take snapshots hourly and keep hundreds of them
                            Hundreds might be a bit OTT, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to start from scratch!

I've seen a few tales of woe on the forum where people have lost all their work due to computer failure, theft, virus etc.,

I'm going to upload a copy of Site1 to my website and password protect access.

Still not 100% It's always possible that my computer could go up in flames at the same time my webhost goes bust - but hey - that's life!

Myles
                            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Working...
                            X