index page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

index page

Apologies in advance for asking what seems to have been asked previously.I have read prior messages but don't understand them to be honest(Too high tech for me!)

I put a message on my website (www.interknit.uk.com) re the postal dispute and can't remember where I stuck it or how to get rid of it.In doing so I've managed to remove my brochure page. Not bothered about this as I never liked it. All the pages look alright when I view them control W etc but when you type in the web address it goes back to the postal dispute message. I would really like the acatalog/index page as the front page. If anyone could advise or altenatively offer to sort me out for a reasonable price I will be eternally grateful!

Regards,

Carole

Search the forum for "301 Redirect" or ".htaccess", you must have something setup on your site to be doing that for you.

Comment

Have you renamed one of your brochure pages titles to this message?. Could you restore a previous snapshot?.
      Peblaco

Comment

Louise,

I think I pasted direct into the HTML. When I right click on it it comes up !DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE> if that's any clue

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to do that.

Comment

Hello Carole,

If you temporarily uncompact the html, you will be able to see where this message is coming from.

Go to Design/Options/Miscellaneous - and untick the box "Compact HTML/CGI"
            Then click "apply"

Then preview catalog. Click on Page/View Source and search for your message about the postal dispute. You will then be able to see above this code which template is involved.

Don't forget to go back into Design/Options/Miscellaneous and compact the code afterwards!

Hope this helps.

Myles
            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Thanks very much Myles. It made sense and was easy for me ( a novice) to check but unfortunately there is no sign of it! I'll double check any images I may have added but I can't see the obvious.Very educational if nothing else!

Comment

Just an update...
                I had managed to invent another index page which appears in front of my store and that's where the html was not in the actual website address stuff. Will probably have to find out how to do the 301 redirect thing now.

Thanks all for your help

Comment

Hi Carole,
                  but unfortunately there is no sign of it!
                  It occurred to me too late last night that this might be the case, as you mentioned you had deleted your brochure page. Any pages you delete within the program though will remain on your server (webspace), until you perform a web update.

It looks like you've now created and uploaded a new brochure index page. You could just leave this in place and maybe add some sort of welcome message, along with general info about buying from your site etc., It's quite a useful page for announcing news - such as postal strikes etc..,

However, if you really want the first page to be the shop itself, you will need to explore the "301 Redirect". I don't use this myself, so am unable to assist, but I don't think it's difficult.

Best wishes,

Myles
                  www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Thanks for all your help Myles.

Comment

Working...
                    X