Using Server Side Includes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Server Side Includes

After looking at lots of different ways to incorporate "includes" in my shopping pages, I see from the KB that I can simply change the file extention of the pages to shtml.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to apply this to the index page however. I know I could manually save the file as index.shtml, in my Site1 html folder, but assume index.html would also be produced each time I update the site. Is there a way to automatically produce an index.shtml page?

I'm using hard coded navigation, so perhaps it won't matter that I end up with two index files.

I've tried re-naming one of my pages with .shtml and everything seems to work O.K. for that page. At least with Java encryption. I plan on implementing SSL though - and hopefully that won't cause any issues.

Having had a quick look at some other Actinic sites, I haven't found any, using the shtml extention. Before I engage in some heavy duty editing of links across 16 templates, I was wondering if other users have discovered problems using "includes" in shopping pages with this method?

In other words, if you're using SSI with your shopping pages, but not saving them as shtml, what method are you favouring instead?

Many thanks,

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

If you are using Apache you can set httpd.conf to treat all files as shtml. Depending on the server specs and site size it may have a slight speed implication.

Bob
    Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
    Bob Isaac
    Director/Web Admin
    Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

Hello Bob,

If you are using Apache you can set httpd.conf to treat all files as shtml.
      Yes, I'd looked at this, along with the use of X-bit hack. My host doesn't support x-bit hack on its shared servers though. As I'm writing my none Actinic pages in php, I also considered using php includes and getting the server to parse all documents through the php engine.

It was after all my research in how to use "includes" for Actinic shopping pages (and consideration of the disadvatages of each choice) I discovered that Actinic software allows its pages to be saved as shtml.

It's only because I can't find any examples of stores doing this, that I started to wonder why?

Myles
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Are the files you're trying to 'include' dynamic?

If not then you can always do this on the PC using 'NETQUOTEVAR:INCLUDE filename.ext' whereever you want it. This is very handy for including content such as navigation that may be common across multiple templates.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Mike,
          Are the files you're trying to 'include' dynamic?
          Yes, I want to include some scripts that will display different lines of text at various intervals.

Myles
          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to apply this to the index page however.
            Ah Ha, found the facility to change the base page name in Design/Options.
            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Working...
            X