One Product, two choices, different prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Product, two choices, different prices

I'm trying to set up a product where the customers can choose between two different models, each priced differently.

This has dragged me into the murky world of components, attributes and permutations - and I'm very lost! I haven't found any step by step examples that really spell out this process.

Here's what I would like to do...

I have one product called "Coin trick" with two models to choose from. One version "A" costs £20 and the other one "B" costs £25. I am not tracking stock - but would like to reference each version with its own reference number. I would like the customer to be able to select which version they require which puts just that item into the cart, along with a cost of either £20 or £25

So far I've entered a product description for "Coin Trick" and understand that the next step is to create a "Component". Two questions arise just from this first step:

1. Do I enter a price in my original product? If so, which one. £20 or £25
    2. The component also has a price element. What would I include here?

That's as far as I've got. Oh dear....

Hope someone can advise.

Many thanks,

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

Bloody hell Myles is that as far as you got? Did you try the help within actinic, it's very good on stuff like this. Price the original product at £20, then add a component which adds the £5 if the choice within it is selected. Once you have your choices within the component, look for the 'fill' tab on the component, all should become clear then.

Price is then set at product plus component pricing model, job done.

Comment

Drop downs for different reference numbers step by step: see here.
      Peblaco

Comment

Ok this is tricky:

Create Product

The two choices are to seperate components.

In the price tab on the product description you put the price of the cheapest item in minus VAT.

In the permutations option on the dearer item you add your item choose overide under pricing and then key in the difference between the two RRPs minus VAT.

In the product description you then choose: sum of product and component prices.

Hope this helps and that I understood your question correctly.

Comment

Could you not just list them as seperate items?

Comment

Thanks for all your replies folks.

Bloody hell Myles is that as far as you got? Did you try the help within actinic
            LOL. I did indeed Lee. The help files seemed to take me all over the place - not really intuitive. Also checked the manual and the online KB. Nothing like Louise's guide in there!

Drop downs for different reference numbers step by step:
            Thanks Louise,
            I'll print this out and give it a go.

Could you not just list them as seperate items?
            I could, but that would give me two products with the same description. It wouldn't look so good.

Many thanks,

Myles
            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

The example products are your best source for learning this IMO, i don't think you can beat something visually in front of you for learning. Although i also think the documents are OK on this part. Compare this with the navbar requests and it is about a 30:1.

The problem is most people delete the example products before realising why they are there. You can learn a lot if you study them.

Comment

The problem is most people delete the example products before realising why they are there. You can learn a lot if you study them.
                They cover most situations very well IMO - perhaps there should be a default snapshot built in so people can add them back when they realise they need them.

Comment

That would be an excellent idea because once you populate things, you are stuffed then. I guess when actinic is loaded for the first time, it needs to be clear that you should look deeply into these products as they hold a lot of info. I'm not sure how you get that point over to someone at the start who may be a little overwhelmed. Having said that they learn how to delete and then purge them quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                    They cover most situations very well IMO - perhaps there should be a default snapshot built in so people can add them back when they realise they need them.
                    There is - well, sort of

Import the sample heirarchical file and you have the basic demo site setup.
                    Bill
                    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

".... i don't think you can beat something visually in front of you for learning. Although i also think the documents are OK on this part..."
                      I agree with the first statement, but not sure about the second.

If what you want to achieve is covered in the documentation, then great - no problem. If on the other hand there are no examples of what you want to do - then all the explanations of things that are related but not quite what you want, (depending on their complexity) can just be confusing. (Speaking for myself of course!)

The good news is, I've got it working. Hooray for Louise! It seems slightly different in version 7, but her brilliant tutorial was close enough for me to get there.

The bad news is that I'm picking up a <br> tag in my page, which is forcing my "buy" button on to another line. The url for this page is: http://www.magicalwonders.com/acatalog/Fun_Stuff2.shtml and it's the last product at the botom of the page.

It seems to be this line which is causing the problem.
                      Code:
                      Act_VariantListFooter.html"/> <BR><Actinic:TEMPLATE type="begin" filename="C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Sites\Site1\Act_CartButton.html"/>
                      I've had a look in the "Act_VariantListFooter.html" but no <br>.

Anyone got any ideas on how to track down where this is being generated from?

Many thanks,

Myles
                      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Is it not the <BR> showing in the code in your post?

Act_VariantListFooter.html"/> <BR> <Actinic:TEMPLATE type="begin" filename="C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Sites\Site1\Act_CartButton.html"/>

Comment

Is it not the <BR> showing in the code in your post?
                          Yes Lee, I believe so. That's why I included it! This code is taken from the output of the generated page.

My problem is I can't see how it's getting there. I've looked in the "Act_VariantListFooter.html" , but it doesn't contain any <br> tags.
                          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...istFooter.html

Amazing what a quick search will turn up!

Sorry, couldn't resist that Myles!!!
                            Cheers

David
                            Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Actually that codes slightly different but it will be in Design | Text somewhere!

Time to go searching!
                              Cheers

David
                              Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Working...
                              X