Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitemap

Hello there folks!

I'm very thankful to the people here since there are so many who are kind enough to help, so Thank you!
    Sorry, just felt saying that.

But well I have a problem here with my sitemap, or rather I'm getting confused with what I shall link/upload or whatever to google.
    Since I read some articles here that said something about linking the url of the sitemap.HTML, I tried that, didn't work due to that it only works for the rootpage and not for following folders where the original sitemap.html is.
    So I copied it and put it in the rootfolder as well, but well, no change, I can't link it.
    Google tells me that it can't find it and when I try to open the link on my website it doesn't work as well, only through my ftp after putting my account password it shows the html.

So I wonder what I'm doing wrong here. Many thanks in advance!

PS: I just tried to verify my website through html upload, it didn't work either.

You need an XML sitemap for what you are trying to do. There are many programmes available that will create this for you and upload it to the root of your website.

I use GSiteCrawler from SOFTPlus. It will create the sitemap, upload it to your website, and once you have successfully registered with google, it will even send them the notification of upload.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

thank you very much for the help, that wipes some confusions off, but well, tried it, created the xml&uploaded it but google still tells me it can't access the xml.
      So maybe there's something wrong with my settings or am I missing something out?

There must be something with the accessibility of my friend's website, cause it doesn't let me verify it nor finds the xml on my website.
      Does anybody know why?

Well, miraculously it works now, I don't know what changed.. well, but the verification still doesn't let me pass it.

Comment

Wait a couple of days till the sitemap has been accepted, then do the verification by placing an empty html file with the name they give you in the root of the site. (open NotePad, do an an immediate 'Save As' , All Files, filename.html) that will give you a 0 bytes file - which is what they will look for.

You should also check the WebMaster Control Center <g> for information - if something is wrong, G will tell you what it is here.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Yup, so far, well, G told me, it can't find my sitemap on the location, what is pretty funny cause it accepted it when I submitted it.
          So like after half an hour when G accepts the submitting the error comes up that it can't find the Sitemap on the provided URL.

Hm..

Comment

Hello there, still don't have a clue why google doesn't find my data.

Can anyone help me please

Comment

Use your browser and try and navigate to the file, if you cannot find it, then neither will Google. If you do manage to find it, then copy the link into here so that we can see where it is. You are clearly either creating the wrong type of file or putting it in the wrong place as literally thousands of people have passed through before you without any trouble at all doing this.

Comment

ftp://ftp.vida-natural.com/sitemap.xml
                ftp://ftp.vida-natural.com/sitemap.xml.gz
                ftp://ftp.vida-natural.com/sitemap.html

Before you comment it, I know it's the ftp not the www... but don't know how to put it otherwise since it should be the same, at least when I use my ftp-program to login.
                If I use the www. path I myself also get a negative reply, so as i said, don't know what I missed out.

Comment

Hi,

I can see your Actinic generated sitemap @ http://www.vida-natural.com/acatalog/sitemap.html, you will have to upload the xml sitemap to the same location.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

very well! but will this not make google index less than normally?
                    I wonder, since I tried that before, I mean submitting the url just from the acatalog-subfolder, so it tells me to add that "new" website( the sub-URL)before.
                    On the other hand it tells me in the first place to put the xml in the very rootdirectory that I have my website on....

Cheers!

Comment

I can see your Actinic generated sitemap @ http://www.vida-natural.com/acatalog/sitemap.html, you will have to upload the xml sitemap to the same location.
                      this is incorrect, the xml sitemap must be at the root. Bruce is highlighting the actinic generated sitemap which will be within acatalog.

However G can not find your sitemap - assuming you are calling it sitemap.xml because it isn't there

see attached image
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well the sitemap from actinic I found out before though about that one, I don't know what I can with since G doesn't seem to like a html sitemap.

About that you can't see my sitemap in the www-url, well that I know as well, that was the reason why I showed the ftp-url's cause I couldn't see the sitemap myself with the common www-url.

So my question was: do you know what could be the cause that the sitemap doesn't appear in the www... ? Or do you know what I could do about it?

Cheers!

Comment

I've no idea what your directory structure looks like, but if you want the file to be at www. then you might need to ftp it into a directory that could be called something like httpdocs or www.

ftp into your site and look for your acatalog folder. Is that at the ftp root or do you have to go into a directory to see it?

Mike
                          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

well I use filezilla as my ftp-program, it doesn't make any difference if I type in www. or ftp, I log in the same website when I do.
                            I mean for instance, when I type in my address: www.vida-natural.com or if I write ftp.vida-natural.com, it doesn't change anything of the appearing of my folders or what I change in either.
                            I tried logging in both sepparately and changing things, doesn't do anything different.

I don't know if this was clear but I was using ftp right from the beginning when I saw that G didn't like me with the normal actinic html sitemap.

So it's the same structure and the original sitemap is as well, through the ftp-program in http://www.vida-natural.com/document...g/sitemap.html
                            well, and the others in the root, so www.vida-natural.com.

Well, at least they should be...

Comment

You are clearly confused over ftp and www

Put simply FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, when we talk about FTP we are refering to transferring files to and from the webserver, here you are using an FTP client (Filezilla) to move files from your PC to the webserver.

So when you log into your site using FTP you are viewing the files on the server (same as using MyComputer on your PC) , if you view the site in a browser using www you are viewing pages.

Use FTP to upload the xml file to the server, put it in the root, if you can see it using Filezilla then so will Google

If you wanted to view the actual webpage type www.domain.co.uk/sitemap.xml into a browser

Comment

Working...
                              X