No announcement yet.

Sitemap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well I did put it in the root folder, as well as in the acatalog folder.
    and I can submit the sitemap to g, but after half an hour, when G checks the submition, G gives me an error saying that it can't find the sitemap at the provided URL....

thanks for the clarification. but you see that's the funny part, I use my ftpprogram to check my website, and everything is there, then I try my browser and it tells me that there's nothing.
    This I tried before as well, I only mentioned the www with ftp before, because i wanted to make clear that I verified that I'm really in the right website, when I login to it, not that I could be in the wrong one anyway^^.

so far..

Comment

Originally posted by TypiO
      well I did put it in the root folder, as well as in the acatalog folder.
      Clearly you did not, because it would be there if you had. I think you are very confused with what to do here and need to provide some screenshots of the folder structure on your server (so we can help further) or contact someone for some help. This should be an incredibly easy task to do.

You must be putting everything in the wrong place, so forget what you have been trying and try a few other folders if you are going to persist with trying to sort this out yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TypiO
        I verified that I'm really in the right website, when I login to it, not that I could be in the wrong one anyway^^.

so far..
        Oh, but you can - in effect - be in the wrong website when you login with ftp.

Most hosts have the ftp root above the publicly visible webspace to stop inexperienced users accidentally publishing content that is not intended to be publicly visible.

These hosts provide a folder called 'public-html' or 'htdocs' or 'httdocs' or just plain 'www' and if your content is not inside that folder it cannot be found by anyone (Google or not) using a browser type address.

You basically have two choices - read enough to understand how ftp/http and the other internet protocols work, or contact one of the people trying to help you on this thread by Private Message, give them an ftp username and password for your site, and let them move the file you have uploaded or upload the file to the correct place for you.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks wjcampbe! You gave me the right hint. I put the data in the root folder but not in the public one( though I thought I did so), but what I didn't know is that the data appears in the root of the website-url with a browser.

So my riddle is solved cheers!

Comment

Fabian,

Glad you got there in the end, and hope this thread can help someone else. Experienced users can easily forget that a complete newcomer can take a while to grasp that ftp root and browser root can be totally different planets.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

softplus Gsitecrawler

Originally posted by wjcampbe
              You need an XML sitemap for what you are trying to do. There are many programmes available that will create this for you and upload it to the root of your website.

I use GSiteCrawler from SOFTPlus. It will create the sitemap, upload it to your website, and once you have successfully registered with google, it will even send them the notification of upload.

Hello everybody,
              Thanks a lot to keep this forum with all this precious info you give. As, I m not computer litterate, could you tell me which directory name should I give this software to upload the xml file?
              D Dujardin

Http://www.purbodycare.co.uk

Comment

The answer was simply:
                documents

I managed with the precious help of a friend.

The info on this forum is very helpfull.

Thanks to you all.
                D Dujardin

Http://www.purbodycare.co.uk

Comment

Glad you found the answer you were looking for, David.
                  I think no one stepped in to attempt to answer you simply because the "root" location can vary quite a bit from one host to the other so there is no "one" answer.
                  Thanks for letting us know you sorted it out
                  Tracey

Comment

Working...
                  X