Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eek! Customers NOT receiving their order detail e-mails from Actinic -Help Pls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eek! Customers NOT receiving their order detail e-mails from Actinic -Help Pls!

Just found out customers are not receiving their email showing order details which is sent out
    from actinic when an order is placed.

Have done a test on the advanced network setup and i receive this message:-

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
    server: passed
    connection: passed
    sockets: passed
    communications: failed
    authorisation: passed
    message: This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.

I can understand this, as on outlook/outlook express in the email account settings we must have the box ticked for outgoing mail requires authentication.

On the PC that has actinic installed this is done.

Help!

So in the Network Ssetup have you configured the username and password required?

Comment

Also is the email address hosted by your server - ie something like sales@d****.co.uk?

Comment

You'll most likely need to set the "SMTP server" to

localhost

in the network setup, without authentication.
        It's a common mis-interpretation of this setting. People assume it is their local SMTP server that is required. It is, however, the SMTP server relative to the scripts on the web server that use this, even when sending from the local machine, and hence localhost, which is the standard for the majority of hosts, works.

Search the forum for localhost - you'll get all you need there.
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Ah, wait - jumping the gun there I think.
          This might be, as Duncan said, because the email address defined in Business Settings is not on the same domain as the website.
          Is this the case?
          Fergus Weir - teclan ltd

SellerDeck Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
            So in the Network Ssetup have you configured the username and password required?
            No have left this unticked.
            Ticking this and entering the e-mail address and password does not work
            either, i get an error message informing me that there is a problem with the username

Comment

Also is the email address hosted by your server - ie something like sales@d****.co.uk?
              the smtp server is mail.d utchw e.st.com (without the spaces of course)

and the email address is directsales@dut chwe st.com

Comment

Originally posted by fergusw
                Ah, wait - jumping the gun there I think.
                This might be, as Duncan said, because the email address defined in Business Settings is not on the same domain as the website.
                Is this the case?
                our hosting is split down the middle in two.
                our overall 4gb of webspace is split half.
                d utchwest.com for our mail as all our email addresses are xxx@dutch west.com

then we have the domain www.dut chwest.co.uk and our webspace.

Comment

Then I think you may need to contact your host and confirm that you can send mail to a non-local address in this way, as it mentions in the error message.

Who is your host?

Comment

Then I think you may need to contact your host and confirm that you can send mail to a non-local address in this way, as it mentions in the error message.

Who is your host?
                    its www.dataflame.co.uk

Comment

I did a search and found this post

Finally, it worked !!

This is what you need to do:

Click the "Web" tab, then Network Setup and that will open the Advanced Network Setup.

On the "Email Settings", remove the tick from the "UserName and Password Required" field and leave the fields "Username" and "Password" blank.

On the "SMTP server" box type "localhost" without the quotes.
                      Now click Apply. Your email address should be similar to your domain name under the "Setttings" ->"Business Setttings Tab". That is, if your domain name is niceflowers.com, then your email should read something like sales@niceflowers.com.

I know this is rediculously simplified but if you are dealing with customers having no previous experience whatsoever with Actinic or any other e-commerce program, directions should be as simple and as detailed as possible. In the end of the day, some of us just want to make millions from selling on the net. We might not be that interesting in resolving network issues !

Thanks Bill...

http://www.grafea.com
                      Designer leather bags
                      --------------------------
                      Yanni Kioupouroglou

So as mentioned on here as well I set the smtp server to localhost, and in my business settings i changed the email address to my own personal gmail email address.

The test passed and said it was sending a test email out. Have not received this on my gmail account yet, so assumed that this has not worked either.

Comment

I think I need to look closely at how I type my responses. My clarity of explanation clearly needs addressing.

Im sure I pretty much said that in post #4!

Glad it's resolved.
                        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd

SellerDeck Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by fergusw
                          I think I need to look closely at how I type my responses. My clarity of explanation clearly needs addressing.

Im sure I pretty much said that in post #4!

Glad it's resolved.
                          Its not resolved, please read my post above

Comment

in my business settings i changed the email address to my own personal gmail email address.
                            Not a good idea as this is what will be given to all your customers as your business email

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                              Not a good idea as this is what will be given to all your customers as your business email
                              This was just to test it out so that the email address in business settings was an external email address (not one in our domain.com), dont worry I changed this back within 5mins after i did the test

Comment

Working...
                              X