Non consecutive order numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non consecutive order numbers

There a few occasions where there are breaks in the order numbers eg 00101 then 00105.

I guess this is because people are abandoning their shopping cart.

Is there a way to find out what they have ordered?

Andrew
    Jewellery247.co.uk
    AndrewBerry.com

W: http://www.WelshGoldOnline.co.uk
    W: http://www.jewellery247.co.uk
    W: http://www.AndrewBerry.com

The only way to to do it is look at the 'session' files on the server which hang around for a set time. This time is set in 'Web | Configure Expiry Periods'.

The abandoned orders would normally happen at the point of payment (people deciding against the purchase). If you are using a Payment Service Provider (e.g. WorldPay) then you can see orders abandoned at this point in the 'Pending Payment Service Provider' folder in the 'Orders' tab.

Comment

What file name would I be looking for and roughly where would they be located.

I am not using a PSP.

Andrew
      Jewellery247.co.uk
      AndrewBerry.com

W: http://www.WelshGoldOnline.co.uk
      W: http://www.jewellery247.co.uk
      W: http://www.AndrewBerry.com

Comment

session files have the extension of .session when viewed through your FTP software

Comment

Any idea how much information a session file will provide? I've downloaded and opened session files in Notepad and the only info they seem to contain is:

<SessionFile Version="1.0">
          <URLInfo>
          <LASTPAGE>url/page.html</LASTPAGE>
          <LASTSHOPPAGE>url/page.html</LASTSHOPPAGE>
          <BASEURL>url/page.html</BASEURL>
          </URLInfo>
          <CheckoutInfo>
          <BillContact/>
          <ShipContact/>
          <ShipInfo/>
          <TaxInfo/>
          <GeneralInfo/>
          <PaymentInfo/>
          <LocationInfo/>
          </CheckoutInfo>
          <ShoppingCart/>
          <Payment/>
          <IPCheck/>
          </SessionFile>

I've substitued "url/page.html" for the real url and page filename.

Malcolm
          ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
          ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
          ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

They contain the contents of the shopping cart, and the name and address information supplied with the order. It sounds like you have looked at a new session file.

Comment

Thanks, Chris - all the files were empty, but I guess that's because the client and his colleagues have been doing a lot of testing recently, and have probably abandoned a load of orders.

Malcolm
              ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
              ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
              ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

can someone clear something up for me on this.

As far as I know, orders are only assigned an order number when they become an order on the system. i.e. once an order number has been assigned then that order can be downloaded and you can see what products are in it (even if the cart is abandoned) by opening it in actinic.

I believe the only way to get missing order numbers is to delete the order on the system. To avoid this I always just cancel the ordered products and this leaves the order on the system for future reference.

Am I right? In which case what is the cause of Malcom's problems?

Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Mike..

I don't think this *IS* right, tbh.
                  I frequently get missing order numbers that never tranlsate as orders (pending or otherwise) in either catalogue (running a V6 and V7)
                  It's more common with my V6 catalogue as I use the actinic built-in encryption to capture card details for later processing and I think, commonly, people are not getting the java vm page so they go back to a previous page and resubmit to send card details spearately. Or, as my business is an unorthodox one (pram/pushchair hier) folk are changing their minds altogether at some point during checkout.
                  This never results in a payment pending order though. (even when I have simulated it myself)
                  In fact, using the java encryption ,I never get a PSP pending order.
                  My V7, however, uses Worldpay and I often get PSP pending orders where folk have either changed their minds or are all ready to pay with an incorrect card (Electron, usually!)
                  I very occasionally get missing order numbers but much less often. It's been put down to people abandoning the cart earlier on than the final checkout screen prior to payment.
                  I've asked the question before about at what point Actinic generates an order number during the checkout process but no-oine answered last time.
                  Any comments from Actinic on this subject?
                  It certainly seems to be causing some confusion.
                  Thanks, Tracey
                  Tracey

Comment

Sounds to me like a bug in Actinic.

I generate my invoices from Actinic and the Inland revenue will be very unhappy if you try to tell them that invoices aren't sequentially numbered for no apparent reason.

Will Actinic support please provide an official answer to this.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I need to talk to the Developement team about this. I'll get back to you.

Comment

I've been having a word with the Development people, and their opinion is that an order number should never be skipped in the online store - unless you are using a PSP and a customer is transferred to the PSP but does not complete the transaction (in this instance it is not skipped, it just isn't there in 'Pending')

I'd like to research this further with the people who are not using PSPs and have missing order numbers.

Would someone like to volunteer? What I would need is a snapshot of a site plus a server log covering the likely time of a skipped order number. If you are happy to work with me on this, please drop me an email to communityadmin [@] actinic.co.uk and we'll get cracking.

Comment

any progess? Or still looking for a volunteer?

Simon

Comment

Chris, I'd like to examine my session files on a new site I've developed. I'm pretty sure they're abandoned carts and I'd like to find out what I need to do to translate those into sales.

When I try to view/download the session files via ftp I am unable to do so, error message is that I don't have permission to do that. I am using the same settings as I use to upload the site from Actinic.

Any ideas how I can get to the sessions files please?
                            Amin Motin
                            First Choice Aquatics Ltd
                            0870 8964698
                            Offering a fine range of high quality branded aquarium and pond products

Comment

Session files have 000 permissions (meaning that no-one can read them). This is because they're in your acatalog directory and could be available to the world if even read-only. They only have their permissions changed briefly to readable by the Perl scripts whenever the scripts need access to them.

Some FTP clients have the capability to change permissions so you can see if that can be done.

Other wise to get at them you'd need telnet type access at the same user level as the Perl scipts have.
                              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                              X