Password or Encrypt Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password or Encrypt Actinic

Has anyone had any experience of passwording Actinic and/or encrypting the Actinic folder (in Program Files)? There is very little chance of our laptops being stolen, but I'm not going to do an HMRC with our customers' details!

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Hi,

I tried Stagenos 2 years ago and I couldn't wait to get it off. Unfortunately I don't remember the details. I only remember that it wasn't a fit. A quick & easy way to safeguard folders from hackers on XP is to use the encryption option on Windows XP.

1) Right mouse button on any folder and choose Properties.
    2) Click on Advanced Attributes
    3) Click on "Encrypt contents to secure data"

Once encrypted these folders will be green. Be aware that when encrypted there are limitations on what you can do (like restores from a different PC's into these folders). Other than that it works well.

This is only good for internet threats so if your computer is stolen, it doesn't help. Revenue Canada has been using Safeguard Easy (http://www.utimaco.com) for years but I'm not sure if this is an option for smaller companies.

I highly recommend a good backup software like Acronis (make 2 full backups) so if things don't work out, a restore is an easy way out.

I hope this helps.

Comment

I've been using DCPP 3.9 for the last 2 months and no problems - I've encrypted the entire operating system on Windows XP Pro and Actinic V8 works fine. You can buy it from www.securstar.com. I tried other programs first BUT this seems to be the best I've managed to find.

J

Comment

If you upgrade to V8 you can choose to login and then all credit card details will be automatically encrypted, addresses etc are still clear text though.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
        X