Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat File Import Help

Hi,

Im trying to update the prices on my website using "import"-"flat file import", But getting it.

There are only two lines i need Parts number in the short description for a referance and the price in price to be updated

In excel I changed the prices from £5.50 to 550

The auto-generation of product ref has been turned off and in the mapping section I have been putting the

part number is map with "short description"
    price is map with "price"

The program then tell me I need something to map with "section text". So I put the Part Number to map with "section text" (I dont know if that was the correct thing to do). Now the program telling me that there should be no £ in the price, (its not just a number).

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong or how to fix it.
    www.rollsroycecarparts.co.uk
    Genuine & Alternative parts for Rolls Royce and Bentley Cars

Are you wanting to set up external linking or do a one-off flat file import?
    Importing a flat file does not involve mapping.

Comment

I have 140,000 line items on my product list this now, not all on the website. About every 3 months or so about 20,000 of these will go up or down in price. It would be good to a program or a way to do this. Up to now I have left it but some prices are way of now and needs doing.

Can this be done?

Comment

In that case then you're best bet would be to externally link to the database. (As I think you were trying to do at the outset?)

The minimum field headings you need are Product Ref and Price. You don't need to link the Short Description unless you need to change that as well as the pricing. Everything is related to the Product Reference.

Comment

Sorry, but im getting no where fast with this

I dont know what ref code goes with what part number i have in the "short description" box. I take it I would need to go throw the 990 items on the website and take a note what ref code goes with what description.

Is there any where i can buy a program to do this, it seems very complicated, even when looking at actinice help it looks easy.

Comment

Hi,

You could do an export of the site to get this information.

Regards
            Jon
            www.designtoplease.co.uk
            www.getmeoutofahole.com
            www.toys4james.co.uk
            Located in Herts

Comment

I have done an export site, and i can see what you mean.

The problem now is that when I get the price update on cd, it would not have the ref code on it.

looks like i will have to leave it as it is. Or find a link to TAS3 to Actinic.

Comment

If you don't get the product references then you can sort the rows on short description and do a lookup in Excel to get the product references from the export.

Comment

Flat File Import from Excel

The hardest part of a flat file import is getting it set up and mapped correctly in the first place. I've been using this method for several years, and have a standard Excel spreadsheet that I use to update my Actinic site. (Zipped sample is attached.)

As far as I understand it, you MUST MUST MUST include a product reference (the unique ID for each product) and section text when you do the import, as those are the two bits of information that tell Actinic what products you're talking about and where to put them.

Once you figure it out, it's not hard. The initial file setup is the tough part.

As for matching prices from CD, there's a function in Excel called VLookup, that will mash together the prices between the spreadsheets, as long as the part numbers match up exactly. I'm not good at this part, so I usually have our company controller -- an Excel WIZ -- help me.

Good luck
                  Attached Files

Comment

Excel import

Curious to find out: Were you able to use the Excel file for your import?

Comment

Although I have been using a csv file to import my prices successfully, I have now hit a complete blank - the import has stopped working altogether! Anyone know why?

Comment

You're a bit vague on information for anyone to be of much help.

What have you done since it was working?
                        Have you upgraded Actinic?

Comment

Working...
                        X