Can't take a snapshot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't take a snapshot...

OK, so I'm still using version 7, but on the grounds of "it ain't broke", I've not upgraded. However, I fiddled with a template, somehow caused a font change and can't trace where, so I thought I would restore the last snapshot and start again. Being cautious, I thought I should at least take a snapshot of where I had got to first... And it fails every time with a Microsoft message saying "Actinic - Internet sales application has encountered a problem and needs to close". (The only Microsoft thing I have actively done recently is to load IE7)

I can see a lot of forum comment about snapshot problems with V8, but none about V7.

With the system in a funny state, I am now even more reluctant to restore from the previous snapshot as I might lose everything. Any suggestions will be very gratefully received...

Anthea
    Anf
    New Year - new YOU!
    (remove that cellulite before the summer comes - www.treatmentgels.co.uk)

instal v7 on a separate of and import the replacement snapshot on that

Comment

...er?

Thanks for the reply...

Originally posted by RuralWeb
      instal v7 on a separate of and import the replacement snapshot on that
      Do you mean install into another directory on the same pc, or a different pc?

Any suggestions as to why I suddenly can't take snapshots?
      Anf
      New Year - new YOU!

Comment

separate pc - my spell check playing up

Comment

Close Actinic. Copy your database from your Site1 folder to a safe place (ActinicCatalog.mdb).

With Actinic closed, in MS Access open the database in your Site1 folder and select to repair and compact the database and see if that resolves the problem. If not then you can try going back to your latest snapshot - you would still have a (manual) copy of the database to swop back if need be. (Swopping the database instead of using a snapshot is not ideal but should work in your case as long as it's the same site)

If you know which template file you changed to cause the problem then you could also just replace that file from the previous snapshot. Backup the complete Site1 folder first. Open the previous snapshot file with winzip (the old v7 works fine - although the later versions should also work), look inside the archive for the template you changed, extract it to your Site1 folder and see if Actinic then behaves.

Comment

After a day with an ice-pack on my head, I am still struggling, but can at least make a backup and the restore from previous backup is now working. Many thanks!!!

However, the funny problem still exists and I am wondering whether it is a problem at all...

Symptom: when I preview the site, and click on a link that is a CUSTOMVAR, the fonts and stylesheet revert to default. Is this because it is a preview, and will be OK when published? (and just something I'd not noticed before?) When I look at the individual P-xxxx.html, the page looks fine.

Please tell me it isn't a problem..?
            Anf
            New Year - new YOU!

Comment

If you have done an offline page preview and it looks ok then it should be ok online. There's only one way to be sure of that though - upload and make see what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                If you have done an offline page preview and it looks ok then it should be ok online. There's only one way to be sure of that though - upload and make see what it looks like.
                Unfortunately, the problem is that the offline preview does not look OK. Is there a problem with generating a page from a link when offline? (eg like the inability to generate a cgi script?) The live site looks fine (the rogue preview links are on the left - they are customvars). The individual site/preview html for the pages looks OK when viewed under Explorer, but all the formatting gets lost when I preview the whole thing and click on the links.

I thought I had accidentally lost something when I altered Act_BrochurePrimary, so I resorted to doing a compare and merge under Word, using the generated preview code vs the published site code. No differences (apart from refs to acatalog). A mystery.

I am reluctant to progress to V9, or even upload anything whilst I might have a dodgy backup/database.

HELP!!!
                Anf
                New Year - new YOU!

Comment

If they are cgi links then they will only work online. If you click on a cgi link from an offline preview then it normally tells you that it cannot display the page.

Give us an example of the link. (and the source of the link from the offline preview)

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                    If they are cgi links then they will only work online. If you click on a cgi link from an offline preview then it normally tells you that it cannot display the page.

Give us an example of the link. (and the source of the link from the offline preview)
                    The links (as far as I can tell) aren't cgi. The relevant coding in Act_BrochurePrimary is
                    <a href="CUSTOMVAR:SHIPLINK">more info...</a><br>
                    The SHIPLINK template is shipping_costs.html. That page displays fine when viewed under Explorer. It only goes pear-shaped when called through the link. (as also does the Special offers link in the same sidebar)

Looking at the various settings, I see that, under Design Options, Layouts, they are all set to Act_Primary, not Act_BrochurePrimary, which is set in the shipping_costs.html Brochure page. (but both are referred to as "sidebars down both sides") Could the system be reverting somehow to Primary?

I'm not sure what else I can provide, and I'm not sure what you mena by the source of the link from offline preview? Do you mean this bit from P_SiteRoot_index.html : <a href="../shipping_costs.html">more info...</a>

Would it help to generate the site in Test Mode? If I publish it, will it screw up the existing site in any way? I assure you I have spent ages with the help files trying to find out how Test Mode works, and come up with nowt!!!

Now you see why I left the site alone and didn't attemt to fiddle with it for a while - but I have to update prices, etc as a matter of urgency!
                    Anf
                    New Year - new YOU!

Comment

thanks for all the fish...

I feel in need of a babelfish now! I have published the site at http://www.treatmentgels.co.uk/acatalog/test/ and it works fine! Arghhh...

Still no idea why it wouldn't show properly in offline preview - bit worrying as it will be difficult to distinguish "real" errors if offline preview is temperamental/not accurate.

However (fingers crossed) the immediate worry is now over, so many thanks for sticking with me and my gibberiing - it really helps to feel someone else out there has a vague idea what I'm talking about!

Anthea
                      Anf
                      New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Working...
                      X