Updating prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating prices

Hi, This may be a daft question, but with a dodgy database, I have to be careful...

I want to do a major price change, so have produced an excel file with the product reference and new price. However, when I checked with the database table Product, there are repeated references to each product - ie with the 1!, 2!, etc in front of my reference code. If I do a flat-file import, referencing my code for the products, will it also update the lower level references?

Thanks, Anthea
    Anf
    New Year - new YOU!
    (remove that cellulite before the summer comes - www.treatmentgels.co.uk)

They will de duplicates i expect and as duplicates they read the price from the master. All should be updated by just redoing the main product price. Simply snapshot before you do anything and things can't go wrong then anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
      They will de duplicates i expect and as duplicates they read the price from the master. All should be updated by just redoing the main product price. Simply snapshot before you do anything and things can't go wrong then anyway.
      Many thanks. Will try it now.

The words "simply snapshot" fill me with dread - 50% of the snapshots fail at the moment and I don't know why! Very unstable all round (and the system's not much better!) And I would like to upgrade, but the database is soooooo iffy, I don't want to transfer errors to a new version!
      Anf
      New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Maybe an upgrade to V9 using the 30 day trial is a good idea for both backupability and also you might find the upgrade sorts out your database problems. Just load V9 trial and import a V7 snapshot, then take a V9 snapshot and store it safely.

Comment

Maybe an upgrade to V9 using the 30 day trial is a good idea for both backupability and also you might find the upgrade sorts out your database problems. Just load V9 trial and import a V7 snapshot, then take a V9 snapshot and store it safely.
          Good idea - intend to do it as soon as I can get a new snapshot! I have now tried three times in a row, and keep getting Microsoft message "Actinic has encountered a problem and needs to close" Arghhhh. I haven't yet figured out what is causing the problem - success rate now down to 25% and dropping!

Perhaps I am just low on sugar - putting the kettle on often seems to help!

p.s love the quote! Maybe I originally got the 1% dodgy copy of Actinic?
          Last edited by anf1y; 29-Mar-2008, 01:41 PM. Reason: add a p.s
          Anf
          New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by anf1y
            success rate now down to 25% and dropping!
            GULP! I'd be taking a Site1 copy rather quickly also and storing it off system, hard drive could be on its way out amongst umpteen other possible things.

Comment

If things are as bad as you say then I would not even consider importing an snapshot or database into V9 as you will almost certainly bring in the errors.

Moving from 7 to 8/9 is always best doing with a redesign so IMO you should get v9 and set it up using your test space then get building the site again from scratch - I know its a pain in the arse but at least you will end up with a stable site.

Comment

I have finally got a snapshot. Hmm? Wish I knew why... and whether it will actually import at all...

I agree that using a damaged database/snapshot is not a good idea, but I'm not looking forward to a complete re-design. My database has been behaving oddly since day 1 (correspondence with Actinic stretches back 3 years). I gave up without getting a satisfactory solution and just left well alone once my website worked. However, with the Euro-GBP exchange now so bad, I need to do some urgent housekeeping. Wish me luck with the V9 trials!

p.s Is it OK to go straight from V7 to V9, without passing GO, paying £200+ and using V8?
                Anf
                New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Yes you can go straight to v9 missing out v8. Your site doesn't look too customized so it may go reasonably well straight into the smart theme in v9.

This is what I would do - Upgrade the site to v9 - export the products. Completely uninstall v9 - and reinstall it fresh, select the smart theme and import your products back in.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                    Yes you can go straight to v9 missing out v8. Your site doesn't look too customized so it may go reasonably well straight into the smart theme in v9.

This is what I would do - Upgrade the site to v9 - export the products. Completely uninstall v9 - and reinstall it fresh, select the smart theme and import your products back in.
                    After 24 hours' break from the trials of V7 (and it is now refusing to backup again!) I am about to follow your advice and have a go at V9. I have the sweet tea and ice-packs handy...

Thanks for the moral support!
                    Anf
                    New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by anf1y
                      ...I have the sweet tea and ice-packs handy...
                      A touch of brandy may also help.

Comment

oops

Just discovered that prices were NOT updated throughout the store - all appears fine until people actually check out, then prices revert to old ones. It is a real pain - means I have to do the update againn for all levels. Not a happy bunny!!!
                        Anf
                        New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Anthea,
                          That problem, with the prices, could well be the same problem as is being discussed in THIS THREAD
                          Might be worth following its progress
                          Tracey

Comment

Thanks for the info. I suppose it is nice to know I'm not alone...!!! I'm using V7, and I note the thread you mention is on V9 - this might suggest the problem has been around for a while?

Going to try another flat-file import to every occurrence of every product while I wait for a solution... ARGHHHHH
                            Anf
                            New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Help! Updated all prices, but no change on checkout

I have done a complete flat-file update of all prices to PRODUCT table - manually amending all prices I could find, including the !1, !2, etc references. Guess what? No difference - I still get the old prices on checkout. Are prices stored anywhere else in the database please?

Late News: By doing a complete refresh of the site, I now have the prices on the checkout in line. Phew!!!
                              Last edited by anf1y; 07-Apr-2008, 08:53 PM. Reason: add p.s
                              Anf
                              New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X