background color not true white

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

background color not true white

I'm doing some tweaking of a website and ran into trouble with the white background color. I used a custom theme and the color I'm having trouble with is where I have specified ffffff for white.

I made new graphics and stripped out background color so that they are all surrounded by white. Now the graphics show up with a box around them that is whiter than my background.

I suspect that the problem is within the saturation and hues, but I need help getting that tweaked. website is

http://www.cholo.com/acatalog/Products.html

and the issue is in the products as well as the online ordering sections.

I'd appreciate it if someone could teach me the error of my ways.

Thanks,

hht

You have set the background colour to F5F5F5 and not FFFFFF look in the CSS file.

body {
    background-color:#F5F5F5;
    Darren Guppy
    Golf Tee Warehouse
    Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by arbshark View Post
      You have set the background colour to F5F5F5 and not FFFFFF look in the CSS file.

body {
      background-color:#F5F5F5;
      I found the problem right where you directed me. I made the change in my development site and a new problem presented.
      http://www.myhome.org/cholodev/acatalog/index.html

My buttons all have the old background. Since I messed with these, fixing it becomes an issue of redoing all the buttons or saving the product graphics with a transparent background. I think that's probably the better way to solve this.

Thank you for your help, Darren.

hht

Comment

Personally I'd change the buttons - it should be such a big job, depending on how you created them. An off white background can look a bit dirty and you may also find it difficult to get the images to look good at the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
          Personally I'd change the buttons - it should be such a big job, depending on how you created them. An off white background can look a bit dirty and you may also find it difficult to get the images to look good at the edges.
          Point well-taken, Duncan. I took the existing Actinic buttons for this template, opened two of them in PhotoShop, stripped out the innards and replaced them with my own choice of letters in the center and underneath. Actinic didn't offer me buttons that matched the information I had to show. So they're just PhotoShop gifs, the highlight and the regular version.

I'm sure you can tell I'm not a wizard, don't have a good grasp on how all this works together at all. But I'm getting by with a little help from the community and a very low-end site. Thanks so much.

hht

Comment

If you are not too experienced Holly have a look at some of the automatic button creators, they are excellent nowadays if you prefer that method to CSS.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
              If you are not too experienced Holly have a look at some of the automatic button creators, they are excellent nowadays if you prefer that method to CSS.

New Baby, Lee? Cute picture! I'll be getting my first grandchild in September my son tells me! ;-)

Well, I CAN make buttons in PhotoShop and get a bit of graphic in there. Fortunately, I'm just dealing with two actinic sites of my own, not a designer like you guys. I would like to come to understand how the CSS and templates and netquotvar things interact. When Darren pointed me to the actinic.css file, it took me several attempts to even find it because I had one version in the general sites section, and it wasn't the right one. Turns out there was another one in the sitehtml folder, and that's where the problem was. I only just started trying to edit within DreamWeaver 4 on my Actinic Developer Version 6 but found it a bit confusing, although I could more easily see where things happen. I can't afford to make the upgrades needed in Actinic, QuickBooks Pro 2003 and DreamWeaver so it would be current. I just don't use it enough to merit the couple thousand dollars and countless hours of upgrade help I'd need.

I originally tweaked it on my development site by going into Design>Colors> and choosing my custom file. I changed the 4 instances of 'white' that I had in there by modifying the Hue and saturation to 0. Hue had been 160. I suspect that 160 made the ffffff into f5f5f5. But it didn't affect the background of my icons.

Not so tough to change the icons, I suspect. I just want to 'git 'er done' and move on to updating the graphics on my other site. I have a great product that really works, and I want people to know that it's a good, decent company working hard to build a good reputation and customer base.

Having said that, do you have an icon designer software package that you like? I looked briefly at two I saw online after your message.

Thanks,

hht

Comment

I use photoshop myself Holly, i have used some in the past and have been impressed with them, but couldn't recommend any in particular. I use them within the CSS then rather as images or alike but it takes a bit of getting used to. Do you get the button creator on your version of actinic within the theme config, see if any of them suffice.

He is 10 months old now, not so young any more (relatively speaking), took his first steps today though and looked very proud with himself.

Comment

Working...
                X