Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Membership only store - will this work?

Hi,

I'm contemplating a store which would be members only, with a subscription fee to become a member, and just wondering how I might implement this in actinic.

I thinking this might work -

Add all my products, but untick the 'product visible' for the default customer group
    add a single product called '12 months membership" which is visable to all
    The user goes to the site, can only see the subscription product, adds it to the cart, buys in the normal way
    I then use the details from that order to create a customer account, and add them to the members group
    They then log in using these details and can now see all products (except the membership which I could make invisible to this group as they already purchased it.

Firstly, would this work? Or are there any obvious problems I haven't thought of?

Secondly, would any of these improvements be feasible -

All products are visible to all - but you can't actually buy unless you're logged in as a member?
    Add a recurring annual fee option as well as a one off payment - not sure how I would implement this but think it is possible (I can use secure trading or protx for payments)
    John

Originally posted by drounding View Post
    I think the first part would work as you mentioned. I also think that it would be a good idea to show your products without prices etc for non-members but this depends oin your motivation etc for wanting to do this. You may also consider how you want (or not want) the site indexed by the SEs.

(PS You may want to start new thread for this topic)
    It would be preferable to show the other products with prices for non members, but not sure how I would then stop them from buying...? Is there a 'must be logged in to order' option somewhere?
    John

Comment

but not sure how I would then stop them from buying...? Is there a 'must be logged in to order' option somewhere?
      View | Business Settings | Ordering | Allow Orders from Un-registered Customers - if this box is unticked then all products will only be available to registered customers, however, this will include your 'subscription' product. To allow this product to be bought by un-registered customers you would have to go through each of your other products and untick 'enabled' on the 'prices' tab for the 'retail' group.
      Tracey
      SellerDeck

Comment

thanks, I'll knock a site up over the next few days and test it out - just as soon as I finish uploading products to my other site...
        John

Comment

alternative 2:

change all the filenames to php, and use a php login system.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
            alternative 2:

change all the filenames to php, and use a php login system.
            Indeed, and you can then go to town with loads of marketing features such as discounts, members info, yadda yadda
            Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
            Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
            X