Link to products from homepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to products from homepage

I'm concerned that when visitors arrive at my site (on the home/welcome page) it is not obvious what they should do next to proceed.

(the correct answer is for them to press the tiny 'products' button in the top right)

Therefore, I would to place a text link in an obvious position on the page saying 'click here to enter store' or something similar.

So my question is, how do I place a link to the main products page in the text of the welcome page?

Thanks,

John.
    ps. to see what I mean goto www.lowcarbgoodies.co.uk - I want the link to appear under "Most products are also suitable for diabetics.". The home page is made up of two 'page fragments' - 'welcome' and 'special offer'
    John

hi there

what you require is actually a built in feature in actinic, and i would probably do this...

open the top fragment, and if you can see a button saying 'advanced' click it, if it says 'simple' leave alone you are in the right place.

next, look below where you have typed your text/description in and there should be a tick box saying, 'link' , tick it

it also says, 'the word [LINK] in your text above will be replaced by a hyperlink as defined here'

so, you need to place the word [LINK] , (with square brackets, and in capitals) wherever in your description you would like the link to appear.

in your 'link text' you type something like ' click here to enter online shop ' and in the url, i would just simply put /index.html

one neat trick for you is that if you want to make the link stand out a little more, where its asking you for the 'link text' you can use a feature of actinic which is to embed html in your descriptions and text to get something like..

Link Text:

!!<<font size+1><B>click here to enter store</B></font>>!!

you can see this will increase the font 1 size above the rest, and make it bold....

hope this helps, im watching a big site upload and thought id have a mooch on the forums...

steve q
    harlequin domains
    www.harlequindomains.com
    Actinic Design, Hosting and Search Engine Optimisation

Comment

Great that's just what I was looking for!

one neat trick for you is that if you want to make the link stand out a little more, where its asking you for the 'link text' you can use a feature of actinic which is to embed html in your descriptions and text to get something like..!!<<font size+1><B>click here to enter store</B></font>>!!
      Yes, I've used that trick elsewhere. But when I try it here it doesn't work...

If I put, for example, "!!<<B>Click here to enter store</B>>!!" it says "Click here to enter store/A>".

strange...
      John

Comment

Something I've just noticed... When you click the link it goes to -

http://www.lowcarbgoodies.co.uk/acatalog//index.html

even if I type 'index.html' (instead of '/index.html') it still comes up in the address bar as '//index.html'...

it does work though, just wondering if there was a reason, or any significance, and if it will work in other browsers...?
        John

Comment

to be safe

you can put the full url in there starting with http if you want to be safe

i dont think the double slash causes any probs....its a little minor bug...

steve

Comment

put in the full url if you want to be sure that a search engine will be able to spider correctly

Comment

ok, i'll use the full url, that sounds safer.

Anyone know why the !!<>!! html codes don't seem to work in the link text?
              John

Comment

i think its because it breaks the <a href> tag ... bummer...

you can just embed an html link in the description for your fragment, all told, its probably the most reliable way to do it...

steve

Comment

unrelated comment

hi,

I opened your low carb site with my Netscape 7 browser and it looks odd. The frame on the left and top is fine but the centre piece with all the products begins underneath that frame as if it's a different section sort of like this :

Low carbs Low carbsLow carbsLow carbsLow carbsLow carbsLow carbs
                  Low carbsLow carbs
                  Low carbsLow carbs
                  Low carbsLow carbs
                  Low carbsLow carbs
                  Low carbsLow carbs
                  Low carbsLow carbs
                  productsproductsproductsproductsproductsproducts
                  productsproductsproductsproductsproductsproducts
                  productsproductsproductsproductsproductsproducts.

I presume it doesn't do that on ME.
                  David

Comment

yeah, I know. noticed ages ago, but according to my logs netscape users are in a tiny tiny minority. So I figured the loss of a few netscape customers didn't warrant the hassle of redesigning my site...

btw. this is a way old thread, I think the site got redesigned after this!
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X