Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible to run actinc with a limited user account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible to run actinc with a limited user account?

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a new user with access to Actinic. This user is set up as a limited user. I have given her full access to the site1 directory but she gets an error saying she can't access the registry keys. Is it possible to modify her permissions so that she can run Actinic? She currently has to logon as an administrator to run actinic.
    Lance

www.brightkidz.co.uk

"High visibility clothing and accessories for children and adults"

I complained about this some two years ago, no one should be running using an "Administrator account" and that actinic should run under a "normal user" or at least a "superUser" - still no change.

No one in my company(s) logs in as an Administrator - not even me, you have to be doing special jobs to have that sort of privileges and you have to make an effort to actually log in as the administrator

You can do it, but you need to be playing in the registry

What you need to be doing is changing the rights to the registry keys for Actinic so that a "SuperUser" can access those registry keys and get the neccesary settings to run the programmes

I have already done it, I've tied the access rights to a "normalUser" and it happily runs (including the ability to take backups)

Do NOT muck about with the registry without first backing it up - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

in the mean time, please please (again) will actinic change the access rights of the registry keys so that you do NOT have to be an Administrator just to run the damned programme

sorry, don't have V7, so can't tell you 100% certain which keys need having the rights changed

Comment

I have problems with this too. To be anywhere near secure, the app would need to run as a single normal user. The problem is that its easier to write an app that runs as root.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I'm shortly (!) going to be moving to v8. Do you know the keys required for this?
        Lance

www.brightkidz.co.uk

"High visibility clothing and accessories for children and adults"

Comment

Registry keys solution

I have had the same problem (Actinic v8). Tried editing the the registry keys etc to no avail.

Then I went to c:\program files and changed the permissions on the actinic folder and everything worked fine - I can now allow controlled user access to Actinic.

I can't say whether this is just down to changing permissions on the Actinic folder in Program Files or whether the fact I had already changed the registry keys played a part. But I hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Comment

Working...
          X