Images from external links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Images from external links

Hi all, sorry but I might ask some real daft questions as I'm a total nOOb. But I do assure you I have or will search the threads before I ask.

Ok, basically I have a multiple product feeds coming into my access db to create one product file. Currently I'm just importing the file while I get the hierarchy sorted out in the site before I go on to sort out the external links.

Now to the point. I have currently about 7,000 products and this is likely to grow to about 10,000. Within the product feeds that I receive I have the external links (URL's) for the image of every product. I want to be able to use this link within the products to display the image. I've tried adding the link into the product image field but as expected it will only accept a file location within the site.

There is no way I want to be downloading and saving up to 10,000 images. Not only will this dramatically increase the size of the site but is also a bit of a waste of time as well as the many hundreds of products that will be added, removed and changed every week.

Has anyone else done this? This is pretty much a show stopper for me with the current view of expectations on this site
    Last edited by UrbanStormyroll; 19-Aug-2008, 03:56 PM. Reason: to make slightly more clear

I think the feature set you're looking for is a little out of Actinic's depth. Perhaps look at a bespoke solution?

You could use a custom variable with your fully qualified url to your image, instead of actinic manage it. This is the path to self destruction, you really need some sort of caching/resizing mechnism in place.

Comment

under estimation

when I said a 'bit' of a waste of time it was said in tongue and cheek.

The estimated time to complete the task would be in the region of 25,000 single man hours or 1041 man days or 149 weeks or almost 3 years!!!

Of course no way is this possible.

Comment

To be honest at this stage I'm not that bothered about the sizing. It's more to do witht he fact I just want an image to be displayed with each product.

For key lines and important deals/items I will create an image to optimse the oportunity to try and improve conversion. But this is sort of only going to be say a couple of hundred products with only a handfull of changes each week.

Comment

Also and to try and think a bit broader, just in case there isnt a specific Actinic solution. Is anyone aware of a bit of software that will let me feed it the urls and it will then auto download the image to my folder?

Comment

If you are wanting to hotlink the image from the other URLs then you do this by modifying the product layout to use a CV instead for the product image. You can then popluate this CV with the URL from your feed and upload it with the rest of the info in your hierarchical import.

EDIT - Oops - just noticed that this is exactly what Gabriel already mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanStormyroll View Post
              Also and to try and think a bit broader, just in case there isnt a specific Actinic solution. Is anyone aware of a bit of software that will let me feed it the urls and it will then auto download the image to my folder?
              HTtrack will do this for you. You'll just have to copy them over to your Site folder afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                HTtrack will do this for you. You'll just have to copy them over to your Site folder afterwards.
                and use a batch converter to resize images - 3 man ỳears in a few mins

Comment

Thanks all, I'll have a look at the suggestions and see what I can manage. Not being versed in development is always a challenge but I pick things up fast...I hope

Comment

Completed and working all ok

Just to say this worked a treat.

Firstly I was able to download all the images using a batch file process using WinHTTrack and a notepad text file. It took just over an hour due to the number of images (7500). Wasn't an issue as I let it run in the background.

I then used FastStone Photo Resizer to make all images the same size as well as a further set for thumbnails. This only took 10 minutes from start to finish.

I will look at Normans patch soon to use the image size recreation so I don't have to upload both sizes of images because it took 3 hours to upload the site. However now it's done updates will, I imagine, be a lot faster so I don't have a burning need to do this upgrade immediately.

Comment

Working...
                    X