Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest way to determine & remove unused images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest way to determine & remove unused images?

I have many, many images in my Actinic directory (I think) that are no longer used because we discontinued the product. What's the easiest way to find and remove these images? Going through them one by one is out of the question - there are 1000's. If I do a snapshot, delete my directory, then import the snapshot, will this accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish? Or is there a better way?
    -------

Pat

Originally posted by pharry View Post
    If I do a snapshot, delete my directory, then import the snapshot, will this accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish? Or is there a better way?
    If you delete your whole site folder, Actinic WILL complain when you start up!
    Are the images in subfolder(s) within the Site folder? You could possible rename and save the subfolder(s) elsewhere (rather than delete altogether) and then import a snapshot. I wouldn't delete the anything outright until you know the procedure has worked.

If you have multisite, there's a quicker way. License a new site and import a snapshot..job done. If not, it's a bit more fiddly but, as long as the images are in a subfolder or subfolders, I think it's achievable.

If they're not...well..possibly you'd need to do a snapshot and uninstall/reinstall Actinic, importing the snapshot into a clean site?

I'm sure someone else will have a better suggestion.
    Tracey

Comment

do a snapshot and uninstall/reinstall Actinic, importing the snapshot into a clean site
      My way:

Do NOT download any orders during this process, and make sure that you have your Licence Key available!

1) Take a snapshot (note, that's File | Snapshot | Export Site) giving it a name and location that you will remember.

2) Uninstall Actinic through the Windows Control Panel, [Add/Remove Programs]

3) Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the Site1 folder and rename it ('Site_Old', for instance) - this is important!

4) Re-install Actinic, navigating to the the original location. Open the program so that it generates a new Site1 folder.

5) Go: File | Snapshot | Import Site, navigating to the snapshot taken earlier, and import it. Check the box for [Overwrite Orders].

Result: Site1 folder contains only those images in use. Orders status exactly as before. Site_Old folder contains all images in case you want them back later, or if you are absolutely sure, delete the folder in due course.

HTH, Paul
      Paul
      Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

If you've got leftovers in your Site1 folder then you more than likely have lots of leftovers in your acatalog folder on your server.

Comment

Yes, I probably do have cleanup to do on the server as well. Will the site snapshot import described above cleanup the server too?

My biggest issue now is on my computer - space is getting tight. I have plenty of space on the server, but I would like to clean it up as well.
          -------

Pat

Comment

Hi Pat,

No, you may want to delete all images from your website, and then do a web refresh, and Actinic will upload the images which are used in the site. Also a suggestion would be to compact and repair your database, to bring the database size down. You may find you have some wasted space which can be resolved by "Housekeeping | Compact and Repair"

Kind Regards
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
            X