excel import of price field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excel import of price field

looking at it almost 100% of our customers who end up importing an excel file or access file, in the price column they usually have 'call for price' or some other type message if they dont want to sell the product online or indeed want someone to 'call for price'...thats just the way it is....its reasonable logic....

is it possible then that when importing the price field, if there is a number in there, all well and good, let the product display the price and allow it to be ordered online as you would expect, however if there is any text/error in there, could this happen,
    a) product is unavailable to buy,
    b) the text in there gets exchanged for the price message

......its just that sooooo many people follow this quite natural format in their price columns....AND it would mean that anything with an error in the price field WOULDNT be available to buy online for 0.00 pounds as it currently is!

we are getting more and more people with over 5,000 product import lines, and being as they use automation, the possibility for error is huge......

i have it at the moment where in our clients import sheet he has specified 'call for price' actinic has imported that product anyway, giving it an add to cart button and allowing it to be ordered online.....for £0.00 ... ooooopppsss..

i know you can import a field that says 'available to buy online' and 'price message', and really our guys should go through, taking ticks out of available to buy online and filling in the price message field instead of putting 'call for price' in the price field, but as you can imagine, with (approx 8,000 products and around 1,000 'call for prices' in there) this is a huge job which could be sorted at the actinic end...also, cutting the need for two extra columns on import

....my main worry though is that if there is any type of error in the price field, actinic still imports the product but allows it to be 'purchased' online for £0.00 and that needs fixing..just while you are fixing it, can we have it the way i describe above....better to have a product online with some dodgy message but unavailable to buy, than current state...

thanks

steve q
    harlequin

Steve

I'll add it to the wish list.

Comment

Have you ever tried to write an Excell macro or an Access query to resolve this problem? It seems to be trivial to check if a particular field is numeric or not and set the appropriate field (can be ordered online). I would give it a try.

Regards,
      Zoltan
      Actinic Software
      www.actinic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X