Markting Urls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Markting Urls

I have search the forum for the last 15 mins but not been able to find the answer to this question:

We are looking at producing a couple of leaflets with slight variations to test. On the leaflet we want to use a fairly short and different urls

i.e www.performancemotorcare.com/offer1
    www.performancemotorcare.com/offer2

we do not want to use the long version with the /acatalog/ in the middle.

Is there a way of using the short urls above but re-directing to
    www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/offer1 etc?

Many thanks
    Rob
    For all your car, motorcycle and marine care, cleaning and detailing products.

set up a redirect in your htaccess file search for htaccess redirects (google that is)

Comment

Thanks Darren

I'll try a forum search on htaccess for further details on how to.

Your speedy response is much appreciated.

Kind regards
      Rob

Comment

Or perhaps use a forwarding link from TinyURL.com perhaps.
        So this page:
        http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...re_Cloths.html
        would become this for example:
        http://tinyurl.com/6zsbn8

Comment

Here's an .htaccess example:
          Code:
          redirect 301 /offer1.html http://www.mydomain.co.uk/acatalog/offer1.html

Comment

Another thought. It might be worth considering an affiliate system or similar so that you can track the responses and order conversions. I use my affiliate system primarily for that purpose. I create a new affiliate for each 'offer' and track related sales.

Comment

oooh just an after thought, if you go down the htaccess root - cant be a windows server.

Comment

Thanks Duncan.

Again much appreciated. Also thanks for all the help and work you have done recently on the optimizing the images for our new site.
                Rob

Comment

Duncan

I have been considering AllAfilliatePro but wanted it to run a recommend a friend scheme which it appears in won't handle too well without some additional programming (about £3ks worth!).

Will something like this be able to utilise the shorter urls, re-direct them and then also provide analytics?
                  Rob

Comment

AAP will only use normal URLs but with TinyURL you can specify unique custom alias.
                    So for example can perhaps get a URL like this:
                    http:/ tinyurl. com/ PMC-Offer1 (purposely broken link)

AAP is really limited to affiliates that are already registered. Maybe there's something else someone knows of that will handle the recommend a friend system better.

Comment

Darren

I beleive we are hosted on a server that is: Linux (Centos 4)/Windows 2003

This doesn't mean much to me and I am not sure if this is an either/or.
                      Rob

Comment

Rob, your server is using Apache. i.e. it's on linux.

Mike
                        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

OK, if your not to confident with this sort of thing and your control panel does not allow you to edit the htaccess through it, i mean that you have to manually edit it using and ftp progrm then dont delete stuff that is already in it, your need to add on to the end.

but make sure you test your site straight away, if it does not work then delete the stuff you have put in it.

Comment

Unless I'm missing the point, why not just create two new HTML pages called:

i.e www.performancemotorcare.com/offer1
                            www.performancemotorcare.com/offer2

And put some marketing blurb on each page (opportunity for more testing!) and a big link on each to the appropriate product, or even the product details on each page and the appropriate add to cart (or "tell me more" button) on each page?

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Mark

Unfortunately I am not that technically minded. I am creating all my non-product pages as Actinic Brochure pages which automatically assigns them after the /acatlog/ directory.

If what you are suggesting is simple to do within Actinic then I am more than happy to look at how to do this.

Thanks
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X