No announcement yet.

Password protecting acatalog directory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the sales guys asked if we really should be selling roofing materials to these people

Time to send him on a sales course.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by guccij View Post
      That's almost certainly a PEBCAK issue. Never underestimate the ability of customers not to read the form fields correctly.

** joins in general PCI type muttering**
      I believe that this is a problem with field names being confused by the website in certain situations, not a PEBCAK issue - it happens too often and it's always the name where it appears. This has been covered elsewhere in the forum - I'll try to find it.

** also joins in general PCI type muttering**

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

It's ok Mike, i explained these people were the best customers, as they normally bugger it up and come back for more. Their job is to assist the customer when he did

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
          We had one as well
          Is this really an odd coincidence or are we looking at a bizzare bug?

Comment

Originally posted by acompton View Post
            Is this really an odd coincidence or are we looking at a bizzare bug?
            I think it's a bug based around the fact that the customer name and card number fields are sometimes very similar - the card number field name can contain the letters NAME.

Comment

Yes, I've had one too. Not a bug with Actinic though. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some kind of auto form filling that's doing it. Although I'd imagine most people wouldn't let this kind of thing anywhere near their CC details, I'm sure there are others who don't even think of it.

Mike

Comment

Yes, that might be it - there was a thread about the card number appearing in the person or company name. I noted that in certain circumstances the variable name for the company name and the card number both began with "Account" (it wasn't "name" as I mentioned above):

accountname

accountnumber

Maybe some autocomplete systems only look at the first few digits?

Comment

I'd say it's more likely that it's a case of them guessing what the input field is for when they're not 100% sure. It would be nice if Actinic could do something here as if customers are using this kind of thing it would be good for checkout rates if they work properly with our websites. Maybe they should look at the issue, compare field names with other leading industry checkout pages and discuss the issue with the autocomplete designers.

Mike

Edit: I'll pop a request onto the wishlist if there isn't something there already.

Comment

It's relatively easy to turn autocomplete off for some fields in an Actinic website, so at least customers' card numbers shouldn't appear in name etc:

http://www.petefreitag.com/item/481.cfm

ie <input type="text" name="whatever" autocomplete="off" />

However some people probably like the autocomplete feature, and disabling it wouldn't address the bigger problem of CC numbers being stored on customers' PCs, although this is not really our problem.

Comment

It's good to see other customers speaking up. I thought I was being hacked, but now I don't think so.

Although I have no proof, I don't think that this was customer keying in the field incorrectly. There was no first or last name at all - only the card number. All of the other fields were filled in correctly. Whatever it is, it's only happened twice since we started using Actinic. Oddly enough, both were this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X