testing checkout/cart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

testing checkout/cart?

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll try anyway...

Now my site is live, I don't want to do any testing on it, but I want to make changes to the payment options.

Is there a way of changing and testing these options offline somehow (the normal 'preview' doesn't work because it doesn't support scripts)? Or do I need to change my network settings to point to another directory/server and then change back when I've finished? (which would be a real pain, as I have to edit the access db file directly because I'm using my catalog page as the homepage...)

You could amend the network settings to upload to a test directory, or there is a link called 'Catalog Pages Index' which links to a page called P_DEsitemap.html. This page lists links to pages that would normally require scripts to access online, so that you can view their appearance.
    Ben Popplestone
    Ecommerce website software

Comment

or there is a link called 'Catalog Pages Index'
      how do I find/use that?
      John

Comment

It's on the initial catalog page when you preview the store.
        Ben Popplestone

Comment

It's on the initial catalog page when you preview the store.
          I must be blind, I can't see it

So you mean if I select the catalog root in actinic, choose 'web/offline preview' there is an extra link somewhere on my webpage?
          John

Comment

It's not on the initial brochure page so you will need to click on the 'Products' link first. Alternatively, preview the store and replace the page name with P_DEsitemap.html.
            Ben Popplestone

Comment

It's not on the initial brochure page so you will need to click on the 'Products' link first
              I don't have any brochure pages, my catalog/products root is the home page.

Alternatively, preview the store and replace the page name with P_DEsitemap.html.
              nope, that doesn't work either. I've searched the entire actinic directory structure and there is no file of that name... Do I need to switch something on somewhere?
              John

Comment

Originally posted by jxm28788
                I don't have any brochure pages, my catalog/products root is the home page.

nope, that doesn't work either. I've searched the entire actinic directory structure and there is no file of that name... Do I need to switch something on somewhere?
                Yep, I tried that too. No page anywhere either

Comment

My apologies - I've just discovered that this is only a feature of Developer, so it looks as though you will have to upload to a test area to view the checkout pages.

Before you ask, I've requested that this feature be added to Catalog and Business on the wishlist.
                  Ben Popplestone

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                    My apologies - I've just discovered that this is only a feature of Developer, so it looks as though you will have to upload to a test area to view the checkout pages.

Before you ask, I've requested that this feature be added to Catalog and Business on the wishlist.
                    Bah

Comment

Then again ... you could preview the store and replace the page name with P_order02.html to view the payment methods.
                      Ben Popplestone

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                        Then again ... you could preview the store and replace the page name with P_order02.html to view the payment methods.
                        Not in my copy you can't

Comment

ah, you got there first.

not on mine either... bah!
                          John

Comment

What I do when testing a live site, is that I export the networks settings for my live site and save the file somewhere easy to find again. I create a folder called test on my server, change the network settings (use the wizard if you get stuck) to point to the test area. Up the .pl script number so you don't overwrite the live site.. Load my site up.. secure the network setting to another file. Import the live network settings back again. Always check correct before uploading changes to live site.
                            Jenny
                            Hanson Web Design
                            www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                            jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                            Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Working...
                            X