Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nortree

Hi

I have added Nortree to my site and although it greatly improves navigation through my site (thanks Norman) it does seem to slow page loading down significantly.

Can anybody take a look at my site and maybe suggest tweeks to improve the page loading.

www.legends-online.com

Thanks
    Ian
    Commercial Cleaning Cambridgeshire

Re: Nortree

Hi, there's a new version of this code available from Norman's site, which you can find at www.rouxel.cwc.net/nortree/ - I haven't tried it yet but according to the man himself, it speeds things up!

Kind regards,

Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith

Tried that and it seems to improve things a little, but i still find it a bit slow building the menu.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
      Ian

Comment

Re: NorTree

Hi Ian,

I've tried your site on a few different connections / PCs and it is a little slow, although not painfully so. Was it a lot quicker before NorTree was added? I'm no expert in this area, but could it be that SSL is enabled on the whole site? If so, this can slow things down somewhat. From the NorTree side (and again Norman will correct me here if I'm talking nonsense) doesn't the speed of the user's PC and the number of items / sections in the catalog determine the time taken to build the menu? If so, are you testing it on an older machine?

Hope these musings help you!

Best wishes

Keith
        -------------------
        www.albanyhill.com

Comment

The main burden in NorTree is the size of the Actinic generated section tree files.

Look in your site1 folder for Act_section_tree_names.js and Act_section_tree_URLs.js. These reflect the size of your site and can get quite big for sites with a large number of sections.

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman & Keith

Thanks for all your help on with this, I really want to persue this because Nortree is a fantastic addition to my site.

I have the latest version and I have moved my site to a non ssl location.

The file sizes mentioned by Norman are

JS script names 33.7k
            JS scrip URLs 68.8K

Is this to big?

Do these scripts have to load onto every page?

Thanks for your help

Regards
            Ian

Comment

Your site seems much more responsive now. Regarding the section tree files - they have only to load once and from then on the browser should get them from its cache. They're a bit big at 100K combined but that's the way Actinic generates them.

You may also want to look at NorCascade. This si a more modern menu system. I've also intefaced it to Actinic. This one is quicker in displaying the menu on the initial page load.

I've attached it's readme. There's no GUI program (yet) so you have to edit a configuration file by hand .

Norman
              Attached Files
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman

I have tweeked nortree now and it does seem to be faster on my site.

Tried norcascade found it nicer looking but slower, i also had a problem when i put my sitemap url in including the trailing /, it didn't load the menu, just came up with 'errors on the page'

Thanks again for your help,

Regards
                Ian

Comment

Working...
                X