question re: VAT exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question re: VAT exemption

Hi - is it possible to do anything at the checkout stage, or with the shipping tables, so that Actinic Business will only add VAT to the costs for orders delivered to countries where VAT is payable?

I do not want customers to have to decide if they are exmpt or not.
    Regards
    David

Your customers have to do something

You can't just automatically not charge VAT when the customer is outside your home country. EU VAT rules require that the customer supply their VAT registration number and that you show that number on the invoice along with the zero-rate VAT. You have to keep a record of all these numbers so that you can report them to the VATman whenever he requires.

Actinic allows you to set this up on the Business Settings - Tax page. Normally you should use Tax by Delivery Address. Then you will need 2 Tax Zones (at least); e.g. "EU countries" and "No Tax Levied". The Zone Members for each should contain the names of the countries (use the "Edit Zone" button) or "None of the above". "Default Zone" needs to be checked for "EU countries".

In the Taxes Levied part you then need to check "Allow Exemption" and enter a message and a prompt. Our prompt is: "Check this box if you are ordering as a registered EU company outside the Netherlands".

The EU has useful site to check VAT numbers from other EU countries.
    Chris Brown

Comment

Thanks Chris - just got around to looking at this and your suggestions provide me with the options that I need.
      Regards
      David

Comment

Working...
      X